Control Canon DSLR Live View Through IPHONE!!!! OOOH MY GODDDDD

Other than the "oh cool" factor, I can't think of a practical application for this. If it requires your camera to be tethered to a computer, have an active wifi in the area (meaning usually a public place), I don't see the benefits of remote iPhone shooting.

I even have limited use for my remote. If I got more into product photography, then I guess I could see the PC - Camera - iPhone working, but that would be about it

Other than the "oh cool" factor, I can't think of a practical application for this. If it requires your camera to be tethered to a computer, have an active wifi in the area (meaning usually a public place), I don't see the benefits of remote iPhone shooting.

I even have limited use for my remote. If I got more into product photography, then I guess I could see the PC - Camera - iPhone working, but that would be about it

+ 1

If im tethering Ill just use my laptop to view?

From Wired.com:
Would you buy a dongle for your iPhone with a companion USB stick which would plug in to your camera and give remote control and viewing. I would.

I wouldn't.

Being able to set up a remote camera + laptop and then view and shoot with liveview from a different spot sounds very interesting and useful for some applications. As always, those who can't come up with a creative use for a new tool trash it.

I suppose if they could link it into a bolt on network ariel on the camera which would then communicate to the phone and then priced the addon very cheaply then it could be a cheap replacement for a standard wireless remote which can be very expensive (especailly if you go for radio remotes).

if it didn't require the tether to the laptop, I could see some real potential for this. Consider a photojournalist who has set up a remote camera behind the basket in basketball, or inside the net in hockey.

Being able to set up a remote camera + laptop and then view and shoot with liveview from a different spot sounds very interesting and useful for some applications. As always, those who can't come up with a creative use for a new tool trash it.

Care to elaborate on these types of applications where you would find it usefull? I'm at a total loss and looking for inspiration in thinking of ways to use this. I agree that it sounds interesting, but with very limited application due to the tethering.

Its not an issue of trashing or praising, but an issue of discussing the uses.

if it didn't require the tether to the laptop, I could see some real potential for this. Consider a photojournalist who has set up a remote camera behind the basket in basketball, or inside the net in hockey.

I totally agree with you. Its the tethering that defeats the purpose IMO.

The only reason why this works is because the iphone is replicating what the computer is showing over wi-fi. Wireless teethering would have to be available before that was, and to me that would deem this product even more useful.

well imagine if in later version, they add the ability to edit camera settings such as aperture and iso and wb and so on. that sounds ridiculously interesting to me. also remember the iphone's screen is a high resolution screen. a DSLR's screen pales in comparison.

for only $10 i think its well worth it.

Sounds like a $200.00 remote control I don't need. If I am too tired or too lazy to push the enter key when tethered to my camera just to trip the shutter, or use my wired remote, then I need to find something other than photography to do. Maybe full time couch potato and BonBon eater. :lol:

Sounds like a $200.00 remote control I don't need. If I am too tired or too lazy to push the enter key when tethered to my camera just to trip the shutter, or use my wired remote, then I need to find something other than photography to do. Maybe full time couch potato and BonBon eater. :lol:

where'd you pull that figure from?

it costs $10 bucks for the App. Assuming you already have an iPhone. no one is going to buy the iphone just for this.

where'd you pull that figure from?

it costs $10 bucks for the App. Assuming you already have an iPhone. no one is going to buy the iphone just for this.

I use a Blackberry not an iPhone. Thus it is a $200.00 remote control that doesn't serve a lot of purpose. It would be a different story if you could do away with being tethered to the laptop and have full functionality with the iPhone alone. Until then, it's just another gimic.

the grumpy envious blackberry user. dont be upset we still love you.

It's true. Apple fanism + camera geek makes for headlines more efficient to type with capslock and using shift for lowercase characters :p

This looks good for those that have their iphone. But on the whole if I were to set this up I'd be doing it for a long time otherwise I'd just shoot normally. I doubt the iPhone battery would satisfy in this case, they get poor enough battery life as it is.

Great for iPhone users, but wouldn't compare to a dedicated solution.

the grumpy envious blackberry user. dont be upset we still love you.

He's clearly not envious, and what you would call grumpy I would call a valid opinion. So, that leaves us with just "blackberry user", I guess..

I doubt the iPhone battery would satisfy in this case, they get poor enough battery life as it is.

add the fact that this app clearly demands a strong wi-fi connection and I would say that leaves you with 2 hours tops. Than again you could charge from your computer, but that still leaves us back at the fact that YOU CAN JUST USE A LAPTOP :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back