Controlled climates.

ronlane

What's next?
Reaction score
Website
www.lane-images.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well there are trade-offs with the changing of the seasons. The indoor lighting really doesn't get better but on the bright side, the temperature of the gym is MUCH nicer than being outside at this time of the year.

First game and I can tell you that I don't feel as comfortable with shooting basketball as I do with football.

But I will get better. A couple of the guys and a couple of the ladies.

Edmond North M-1st half 0089.jpg Edmond North M-2nd half 0065.jpg

Edmond North W-1st half 0021.jpg Edmond North W-1st half 0148.jpg

You have become so much better. I hope you realize how good you really are now. All of your hard work has paid off.

Solid work in s***ty conditions!

Thank you.

You have become so much better. I hope you realize how good you really are now. All of your hard work has paid off.

Thank you. All I have to do is look back a year or so to see that I have improved, but not ready to say I'm good yet.

These are fantastic. Basketball is difficult, a lot of change of direction. Then there is the lighting and what / where I shoot is absolutely horrid. I haven't been out yet to my grandsons games, he starts at 4:30 during the week now. It is extremely difficult for me to attend at that time. I am an hour and a half away (work) on a good day.

These are fantastic. Basketball is difficult, a lot of change of direction. Then there is the lighting and what / where I shoot is absolutely horrid. I haven't been out yet to my grandsons games, he starts at 4:30 during the week now. It is extremely difficult for me to attend at that time. I am an hour and a half away (work) on a good day.

Thank you JC. I am lucky to be in a big school with newer facilities and okay lighting. These are with a 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Version II and a 1D mk IV at 1/800, f/2.8 and ISO 4000.

Thank you JC. I am lucky to be in a big school with newer facilities and okay lighting. These are with a 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Version II and a 1D mk IV at 1/800, f/2.8 and ISO 4000.

Well your rockimg it my brother. Your imagery is excellent

Well your rockimg it my brother. Your imagery is excellent

:blush: Well, thank you.

These are fantastic. Basketball is difficult, a lot of change of direction. Then there is the lighting and what / where I shoot is absolutely horrid.

Practice, practice, practice.
The more you shoot, the easier it gets.
You start learning to read the play and anticipate where the player/ball is going.

I use a 35/1.8 on a DX camera, specifically to deal with the LOW light in the gym.
I shoot on the gym floor, so I can use the shorter lenses.​
A zoom is more convenient, but then I have to crank up the ISO. Even the FAST f/2.8 zooms are 1 stop slower than my f/1.8 prime.
So pick your poison.

Good action shooting.........

Thank you.

These are fantastic. Basketball is difficult, a lot of change of direction. Then there is the lighting and what / where I shoot is absolutely horrid.

You start learning to read the play and anticipate where the player/ball is going.

I use a 35/1.8 on a DX camera, specifically to deal with the LOW light in the gym.
A zoom is more convenient, but then I have to crank up the ISO. Even the FAST f/2.8 zooms are 1 stop slower than my f/1.8 prime.
So pick your poison.

Sure you have to practice and fast glass is the key but you can't help lighting unless you strobe it. Using an f/1.8 prime is nice but you really don't want to shoot with it wide open. The depth of field is going to be so shallow that you will most likely miss focus on a lot of shots. At 2.8 your hit rate is gong to be low anyway.

I'm not saying that it can't be done, I'm just saying that it is not ideal.

Good action shooting.........

Thank you.

So pick your poison.

Sure you have to practice and fast glass is the key but you can't help lighting unless you strobe it. Using an f/1.8 prime is nice but you really don't want to shoot with it wide open. The depth of field is going to be so shallow that you will most likely miss focus on a lot of shots. At 2.8 your hit rate is gong to be low anyway.

I'm not saying that it can't be done, I'm just saying that it is not ideal.

Agree for the most part.
The slightly smaller aperture will give you a bit more DoF to compensate for focus error or when the lens is "still" focusing.
  • Yes I get a % OOF, but in looking at my volleyball pics carefully, a larger % is from me simply missing the subject (on a fast grab shot) and putting the AF point on the background. The AF point is a rifle, not a shotgun. In my experience, group/area AF does not work FOR ME, because there are too many players around my subject, some closer to me.
  • On FAST player switches, shifting from player A (mid-court) to player B (near me), sometimes the 1st shot is not in focus, cuz the lens is still focusing on player B. Shot #2 is in focus, but dang, it is shot #1 that I wanted.
  • But with a 35/1.8 at f/2 on a DX camera, I still get a decently high % in focus. I'm not using a long lens where focus is more critical. And with the 35, I am pretty much limited to the near court, and I ignore the far court.
When I shoot volleyball, I am at f/2, simply to get my shutter speed UP. I get burrs on the spikes even at 1/1000 sec.
On basketball I can drop down in speed to 1/400 sec, so I can go to f/2.8.

A FX D750 would probably give me another stop of high ISO performance, to use a f/2.8 lens or stopped down to f/4.

Interesting thought. My DX D7200 with a 35 at f/2 has a bit more DoF than a FX/FF camera with an equivalent 50mm lens at f/2, at the same aperture. So I have a small focus buffer simply from the DX format. +1 for DX.

Thankfully my gym is not as bad as one that I shot in when I was in high school.
We called it "the cave."

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back