Controlling light spill to get a very directional light

k.udhay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently came across this image in insta:

Instagram post by Photraits • Nov 6, 2017 at 1:22pm UTC

The photographer has controlled the spill / direction of light so well that the corridor walls don't show any trace of this light at all.

Can a grid on softbox focussed from center and above the subject give me such lighting? I am getting my grid this weekend. However, wanted to know if grids can so beautifully control light spill or the photographer has just used photoshop to remove light spill on wall?

Yes a gridded soft box could easily control the light this way. Especially if it were on a recessed face soft box with the grid.

Thank you Derrel. Another question on the same image. I observe no noticeable highlight (especially on forehead). Also the faces look remarkably clear and bright. Do you think these are all the effects of post production or still possible with mere lighting?

P.s. I can see only one catch light on the eyes. So possibly there is one light above camera and on-axis to subject.

Call me cheap, but I started using black foam core flags to control spill on my softbox when I didn't want to spend the money for a good grid, and I still haven't ordered one. I do have grids and barn doors for the 7" reflectors, but I like the flexibility the flags give.

this looks like camera axis lighting, and inverse square law.

camera exposure was set to expose the blue background. camera axis lighting fired directly at subjects -- no spill because of light fall off.

Thanks Braineack.

Most reactions

Back