My camera took a big ol crap!

jowensphoto

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Not literally, but it did expel its mirror at the END of my last wedding. Unfortunately, the repair cost is more than the camera is worth.

I've got 2 options and a limited budget. There's a canon 1D ii I can get for like 300 something. I have a guy on craigslist with a 5d ii for 700 (about 40k accuations).

The big kicker is the MP difference (8 something vs 21) and video. I don't do any video (though that'd be cool to play with).

Coming from 12MP on my 5d classic, I'm not sure if I'd be taking a step backward with the 1D. Then the weird 1.3 crop factor...

Idk. Any thoughts? I just didn't plan on buying a camera any time soon and need help justifying my purchase.

5d is a better image quality camera than a 1d2. I've had and liked both. The 5d2 is better in every way than the 5d imo. So yes as above, 5d2

5d is a better image quality camera than a 1d2. I've had and liked both. The 5d2 is better in every way than the 5d imo. So yes as above, 5d2

Thank you both. I already knew the answer, but my wallet was hoping someone would come in with some wild argument that the 1D is amaaaaazing lol

5D II

Having owned a 5D II... and then a 5D III & 5D IV, the 5D II is still a very good camera.

the 5dII is going to be a much better camera overall than the 16 year old 1DII.
the only thing you really get with the 1DII is the built in battery grip with vertical controls.

If you do events you'll find the built-in video capability to be very useful. I was doing a BIG birthday bash and all of a sudden behind me a guy started dancing with the birthday girl (63). NO advance warning but spin - hit the controls on the DSLR and voila - video the lady will cherish for a long time. No lighting to speak of but Photoshop was able to bring up the video so it was usable.

the 1D II is amazingly heavy....
and it was a great camera back when George W Bush was President *(sigh miss that guy)*

Great thread title, and the camera expelled the mirror... that's a rofl! That's the only reason I'm making an otherwise useless post. Except I wondered if used is an option.

I had the mirror on my 5D separate as well. It was 3-4 years ago but I seem to recall it being not terribly expensive (under $100) to get it repaired. When I phoned Tempe Camera the tech laughed and said it happens all the time. It was done in less than a week. Of course, if you want to trade up.....

I had the mirror on my 5D separate as well. It was 3-4 years ago but I seem to recall it being not terribly expensive (under $100) to get it repaired. When I phoned Tempe Camera the tech laughed and said it happens all the time. It was done in less than a week. Of course, if you want to trade up.....

Speaking of trading up: My 5D classic took a dump at a steampunk Disney multi-model shoot in the summer of 2016...the first time in maybe 20 years that I took NO backup camera with me! i shot three frames..and the friggin' mirror FELL OFF of the frame...no screws, no bent-over metal retaining clips, just glue. Bad glue, holding a critical component in place. And THAT is the issue with the 5D and the 5D-Mark II: both were built on low-end bodies with lower-end specifications. The 5D was like a $389 EOS Elan body, pretty much, fitted with digital guts. And the same was true of the 5D-II. The 5D Classic had fine,fine sensor for its era, and so did the 5D-II.

The REALLY desirable used-market Canon FF is the 5D Mark 3, in my opinion. When it was current, I tested it and shot it against the Nikon D4, the Canon 1Ds Mark IV (I believe that was the top Canon flagship that year), and then the 5D-3. Wow! The 5D-3 has a good AF system...about on par I thought with the Nikon D4. The fit, finish,feel,and handling of the 5D-3 is really,realy,really nice.

The issue is basically the autofocus system; the 5D and 5D-II are noted for being weak in AF, but the 5D-3 has a powerful AF module and works GREAT, about equal I thought when I compared it against the Nikon D4. Again, not trying to make too fine a point, but the 5D and 5D-II were $389-type camera bodies, with lower-spec'd subsystems...but the 5D-III was a major advancement in the camera and all of its subsystems. The 5D III is a major "trade up".

Most reactions

Back