Converted to Wordpress from Square Space. C&C

dearlybeloved

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I had a Square Space site before this and one of The Photo Forum users reached out and helped me go to Wordpress. He got it hosted and showed me how to use it so I want to say thanks to IronMaskDuval and get some feedback on the updated site. Please let me know what you think about the functionality, organization and speed to make sure it's performing well for other people.

Thanks! :)

Dave

David Aaron | The World Over

Loads well, is seamless to go between all pages, etc. I like it. I see no information on pricing, is that not on there for a reason?

Jake

There's such a variable with what I'm trying to market to that I'm not sure how I'm going to price what I do. I'm currently working on that structure and then may just request to be emailed. I uploaded 2-3mb files so I wanted to make sure that they were loading quick enough.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Displays nicely on ipad... that's a big deal in my world and one of the main reasons I switched to SqS myself. The hidden menu is almost an Easter Egg, though... took me a minute! Looks nice, though.

Thats something I'm worried about, but I don't know how to make it more obvious. Should I draw an arrow pointing to it on the main photo?

Displays nicely on ipad... that's a big deal in my world and one of the main reasons I switched to SqS myself. The hidden menu is almost an Easter Egg, though... took me a minute! Looks nice, though.

The hidden menu is the biggest issue the site has, in terms of structure.

I agree with Derrel. The site is cool and looks nice but that menu will deter a lot of people I think. You shouldn't have to think about where the menu is on a website, it should be immediately apparent IMO.

It took a while to find the 3 bar button that delivered the menu. Blog failed, couldn't find it.

You want critique, but you disabled one of the tools an actual webmaster would want to use for a critique - like right-click. I realize a lot of people disable right-click to prevent people from stealing your pictures, but it doesn't stop real thieves. The page source reveals all a thief needs to take your images. There is a lot more available to any Internet user via right-click than saving pictures. There are other methods of stopping people from stealing your images - or at least letting others know that the images they are enjoying belong to someone else.

I suggest a menu across the top. You can make it a user option to make it hide so they can see your images better, but visitors don't always have the technical acumen to know 3 horizontal bars means menu. And without a good SEO scheme, they won't be finding you on Google anyway. So, the bounce rate on your home page will likely be quite high, which is not what you want.

Jim

I dont know what you mean by SEO scheme. could you give me a little information on what i could do to change that?

One of our fellow TPF members has an excellent article that will get you headed in the right direction: SEO for the Photographer Compliments of HikinMike

Jim

Hey, thanks Jim for the plug!

Dave - Yes, please read my article. It doesn't get into everything, but like Jim said in a different thread, it will get you ahead to most other photographers in your area. Since you're using WordPress now, I HIGHLY recommend using Yoast's https://wordpress.org/plugins/wordpress-seo/.

I don't think the navigation menu is a big deal. That's a pretty universal icon for a hidden menu in the era of tablets.

I'm not really a fan of the theme in general. There are a lot of others out there that are much better suited for a photography business. I've definitely seen worse, and it's not like this one is unusable...but it wouldn't be my first (or even 10th) choice.

Most reactions

Back