Converted to Wordpress from Square Space. C&C

Well the square space was just too boring in my opinion. I wanted a little more flare and flexibility than what it had to offer and someone reached out to me and helped me get it all together. it was alright for what it was but like santa said, it does save me $10 a month.

You want critique, but you disabled one of the tools an actual webmaster would want to use for a critique - like right-click. I realize a lot of people disable right-click to prevent people from stealing your pictures, but it doesn't stop real thieves. The page source reveals all a thief needs to take your images. There is a lot more available to any Internet user via right-click than saving pictures. There are other methods of stopping people from stealing your images - or at least letting others know that the images they are enjoying belong to someone else.

I suggest a menu across the top. You can make it a user option to make it hide so they can see your images better, but visitors don't always have the technical acumen to know 3 horizontal bars means menu. And without a good SEO scheme, they won't be finding you on Google anyway. So, the bounce rate on your home page will likely be quite high, which is not what you want.

Jim

Agree with this. Just went to the site on my computer, and it took me too long to find the menu.

well there is no way for me to change that. I feel like it's pretty obvious being in the corner, but I'm not sure what else to do about it.

well there is no way for me to change that. I feel like it's pretty obvious being in the corner, but I'm not sure what else to do about it.

When 7 out of 11 participants in your critique mention an issue with the menu, it might mean you should do something about it. You and a few others might think it's obvious because you either know what it is or have seen other "art sites" that use it, but it's not the norm and many of your potential clients might be wondering if you only have the one page.

If you didn't design the theme you are using, then ask the designer. Or do a search for menu plugins on the WordPress.org site, or Google. Or change the 3 bars to a graphic of nearly the same size that actually says "menu."

And you should never have a menu item that leads nowhere (blog). Never add a menu item until you have the page or section you want to link to.

Lots of options. The only option you don't have, in my opinion, is the "I don't know what else to do about it" option.

Jim

ill start with emailing the developer about it. Thanks!

It looks great. I love Squarespace and use them myself. I actually like the hidden menu and prefer it on portfolio sites. It gives you more real estate for your images. Nice job.

Most reactions

Back