Converting a single channel to an image

awe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there,

sometimes, when I want to convert an image to black and white, I'd like to use the tone information of a single channel (i.e. what you see when only one channel is visible instead of all three in RGB) as the final picture or the starting point. Here's how I usually do it:

- Make a new layer and fill it all white
- Load the channel as the current selection (i.e. Control-Click on it).
- Invert the selection and fill it with black.

However, this is rather tedious. I could make an Action out of it, but I was wondering if there is an easier way...

Thanks!

What software are you using? I just use the Channel Mixer in Photoshop. You can easily create a monochrome image from whatever mix of channels you want.

Best,
Helen

The channel mixer, like Helen said, is probably your best bet. There is also a black & white converter under the adjustment layer menu that allows you to do the same thing, except you can do magenta, cyan and yellow as well if you want more options.

You can, of course, use the Channel Mixer for magenta (R&B), cyan (G&B) and yellow (R&G) conversions to monochrome. You can also subtract one channel - you could do a conversion that was +200% red -100% blue, for example.

Best,
Helen

@Helen:
D'oh! That was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot! Wow, and I thought I knew PS...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back