Convince me to switch to Canon

tevo

Recovering TPF Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've had this conversation with some photographer friends recently, and I'm interested to hear you all weigh in on it. I shoot Nikon because I find the build quality to be superb, I love the feel of the cameras in my hand, and I love Nikon optics. However, there are drawbacks as there are on any system, and I have had Canonites point out things like color reproduction/skin tones that are different among the two. So, set aside the fact that I am already heavily invested in Nikon, and set aside the fact that it is the photographer not the camera that makes good photos, why should I switch to Canon? Convince me.

5378988644_f9652b3a4e_z.jpg

If this doesn't draw you to the world of Canon and the mighty MPE then - well - you're a lost cause already!

MPE 65mm f2.8 macro - the only lens of its kind. It shoots from 1:1 (the maximum most other macro lenses get to) to 5:1 magnification. It's probably the hardest lens you'll ever use, but sooooo rewarding!

I really don't know Canon specifics but today's technology is so good I think it's really pulling hairs. Yes, Nikon favors greens, Canons yellow. Big whoopie! Nikon's AF system is unmatched except at the top. Trust me, I have seconds shooting Mk II's missing focus a lot.

I really don't know Canon specifics but today's technology is so good I think it's really pulling hairs. Yes, Nikon favors greens, Canons yellow. Big whoopie! Nikon's AF system is unmatched except at the top. Trust me, I have seconds shooting Mk II's missing focus a lot.

I've shot a 5D3 more than a few times and the AF was garbage in low light; my 6 year old D700 focuses far better in less light.

The principal reason I shoot Nikon is because I NEVER have to worry about my AF. It hits and it tracks perfectly, I never have to second guess. I'd say I miss one in five hundred shots because of AF error. If that.

I love my Canon stuff, but if you're shooting Nikon and you like it, stick with it. Chalk it up to "the grass is always greener".

Because then you can have Nikon envy !!

Can't you change your base colors using the Picture Control to be Canonish ?

This is just personal taste but I like the ergonomics/layout of Canon cameras better. I've played with a friends D800 and it's buttons on dials on more dials.

This is just personal taste but I like the ergonomics/layout of Canon cameras better. I've played with a friends D800 and it's buttons on dials on more dials.
Yeah, well, I don't like the buttons and dial location of the Canons .. really .. the button row at the LCD ?? and weird dial placement. lol .. well, we each like our own ergonomics :)

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, video? Radio flash system? The Magic Lantern? Because shooting a Canon is always fun? Because red rings are sexy? Because.... f/1.2? Other than that, I'd say if you're happy on the dark side, by all means stay there. ;)

Just remember, when people see the white lens, they know you're pro, even if you're shooting a pre school dance recital in a shopping mall. :pimp:

Another reason I love Nikon is because of the ergonomics and how the camera feels in my hand. I'm starting to see that a lot of this is just personal preference. I'm interested in technical advantages on either side... if any exist.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back