Cookbook Cover and Design. NSFW.. kinda?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougGrigg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.douggrigg.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here's a Cookbook design of which I worked with a Royal Marine (Also my brother) who came up with around 60 recipes which I took photographs of. Here's the front cover that I've created, The faded style is representative of English culture giving a rural feel like hugh fearnley-whittingstall's cookbooks.

He decided it to be a almost nude shoot (which really projects his character, and the character of the royal marines) they get drunk and strip down at any given opportunity which is quite hilarious how comfortable they are within themselves. I totally understand that this is a cookbook and the ass can be off putting so we have toyed with the idea of putting the bar code over his crack.

I hope you enjoy the overall feel of this cover and design.

C&C welcomed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Putting aside the potentially appetite reducing aspects of a bare-arsed Marine as a cover model... ;) I'm sorry, but I really don't get 'cookbook' from this. Okay, he's wearing an apron, but that's it. I think if this were shot in a different setting it might work well, but as-is, IMO, it doesn't.

The faded style makes the cover look like it's been sun-aged in a window...not a hugh fearnley-whittingstall cookbook. I had to google him and his book covers and I still don't see it. So I simply don't understand that edit, and the reasoning behind it does not justify it; I don't see how this style represents a rural feel, especially when the distracting background suggests an urban feel.

Beyond that, there's nothing to give away that this is a cookbook, honestly, if I had to guess I would have thought it was a book of photos by Dan Ostergren; this includes the title.

he originally had a BBQ in front of him but it was far too distracting, Throughout the book these theme follows, such as him serving burgers in the rude& nude

eg:

$IMG_6676.jpg

The faded style makes the cover look like it's been sun-aged in a window...not a hugh fearnley-whittingstall cookbook. I had to google him and his book covers and I still don't see it. So I simply don't understand that edit, and the reasoning behind it does not justify it; I don't see how this style represents a rural feel, especially when the distracting background suggests an urban feel.

Beyond that, there's nothing to give away that this is a cookbook, honestly, if I had to guess I would have thought it was a book of photos by Dan Ostergren; this includes the title.

I didn't choose the title unfortunately, that was related to the marine himself and the vows he had given his wife in his wedding, he was adament in keeping these.

Please do not post images to which you do not hold rights. You may post links.

http://www.radiotimes.com/namedimag...&404=tv&url=/uploads/images/original/4502.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_rqleWi6pBVs/TU65hO1F-bI/AAAAAAAAAQc/UjN-fsabs1I/s1600/_DSC8675.jpg

These are both hugh fearnley-whittingstall books, where some inspiration was taken from :p

Unfortunately There is nowhere Rural enough that he could strip in the nude without getting arrested, that also was a factor haha !

Last edited:
Lol, I like the photos, granted I feel they could use deeper dark tones. I agree with the opinions posted before that they don't really translate as "cook book" to me. I would still pick it up if I saw it in book store, but not because it's a cook book.

Ass-is, I dont like it. I would definitely put the bar code over his crack.

I understand the faded style, butt I think it was pushed a little too far.

I agree it doesn't look like a cookbook to me... it actually made me think of that Monty Python sketch where they all have on long white chef aprons and turn to walk off stage - when you see they're not wearing pants under the aprons (now that's funny! if you like Monty Python anyway). But that's not exactly unexpected in one of their comedy skits; it is unexpected on a cookbook cover but not in a good way I don't think. It would need to be much more subtle. And I don't care for the washed out look that seems popular lately either.

Personally, I think its funny but people dont really want to take cooking advice from someone thats naked.

Closed per member request - he really appreciates all the feedback! :)

Terri!! I missed the picture! No fair!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back