What's new

Cookies..anyone??

TamiAz

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Sep 26, 2011
Messages
1,004
Reaction score
524
Location
Arizona
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are a couple practice shots I took.. Does the white balance look ok? I think the color in the diffused light picture looks better, but does the light in the direct light look ok? They shouldn't look the same because the different light used, right?

diffused light..


direct light..
 
I prefer the subtly warmer shot at the top, in terms of white balance/color rendering. One suggestion...more depth of field will show us more cookie goodness! Try and get some depth of field! WIth the image magnified so much as this, it's going to take a SMALL f/stop, like f/16 to f/32 to get any "significant" depth of field with a non-tilting lens...if you have a way to tilt the lens, like say, the Lensbaby Composer for example, you might be able to pull greater DOF, and make some cool shots.
 
I prefer the subtly warmer shot at the top, in terms of white balance/color rendering. One suggestion...more depth of field will show us more cookie goodness! Try and get some depth of field! WIth the image magnified so much as this, it's going to take a SMALL f/stop, like f/16 to f/32 to get any "significant" depth of field with a non-tilting lens...if you have a way to tilt the lens, like say, the Lensbaby Composer for example, you might be able to pull greater DOF, and make some cool shots.


Thanks, Derrel.. So would diffused light be warmer than direct light? I forgot to set my custom white balance when I was shooting, so I had to fix in post. I warmed up the second one, but I'm not liking it as much as the first. I need to work on watching my depth of field.
 
Could you try this again? (I know, hafta make another batch, boo-hoo.)

My main thought is to pose the cookies somewhat differently. Tilt the plate up just a bit, place a reflector opposite the light, a little higher camera position, and maybe not so many crumbs.
 
The coloration of the diffusing material CAN "warm up" or "cool down" light, yes. I have some 1986 shoot through umbrellas that at one time were white nylon....now? THey are YELLOWED sooooo bad that they create really,really warm light that must be like 7,000 degrees Kelvin! Some slightly yellowed plastics can warm light up quite a bit. You can adjust white balance and/or tint in post. I kind of agree with Designer...I am CRAVING sight of more of that chocolate chip cookie's lovely, enchanting plateau of goodness...I wanna' see more Great Cookie Plains Landscape!...maybe placing the camera a bit higher up and looking down at the cookie-top surfaces would really help...these are seen "stacked", like poker chips...wanna seem 'em rendered more ovoid, like...cookies.
 
Could you try this again? (I know, hafta make another batch, boo-hoo.)

My main thought is to pose the cookies somewhat differently. Tilt the plate up just a bit, place a reflector opposite the light, a little higher camera position, and maybe not so many crumbs.

Thank you for the tip.. I'm new to food photography. These are actually store bought..:D I don't have time to bake and practice!!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom