Corals... in my aquarium

thewand

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
EOS 1D
28-70mm f/2.8
f/stop was set at 22 for these pictures.

IMG_0865.jpg

IMG_0869.jpg

119F5151.jpg

119F5152.jpg

119F5154.jpg

obligatory clownfish shot (f/stop was set at 4.5 for this photo as subject was moving)
119F5156.jpg

criticism?

They're all pretty, but they're all very dark ... how are you lighting them?

the only lighting in these pictures is tank lighting, which happens to be a large array of high output LED's. i could set longer exposure maybe? flash does not work with aquarium photography.

open up the aperture BIG TIME. Take advantage of your fast lens, one great thing about aquarium photography is getting a really small depth of field so that 1) your corals pop out from the background and 2) so you can get truer color of the corals. the images are too dark to be able to enjoy the popping colors of most your corals.

Nice set.

I now want to run to the fridge and eat some kiwi. I blame the first photo :)

The coral is beautiful but like stated before the pictures are very dark...Maybe try to set up so auxualliry lighting like a lamp or something beside the tank. Just anything to add some more light. Opening your aperature may help to make it pop out as well. Cool clown fish though. I wish I had the money to get a saltwater tank set up..lol

Nice shots but I agree about the darkness. Looks like you have a nice setup there. How about a pic of the whole thing? I'm getting ready to set up my first salt tank, just a little 37g.

here's a shot of the entire setup. its a horrible picture. i had to take at an angle to reduce glare...
119F5169.jpg

i'll take some more photos tomorrow. i'll try to get something brighter. i had just figured out how to use manual functions on the camera the other day. as for the clownfish, i find them interesting as well... (no not the whole finding nemo complex) i have four of them in my tank, and there should be another in in the picture, but it must have been on the other side of the coral.

Nice zoo's.
thanks. :) i got kinda confused at first at what you meant. first two pictures?

they are related to zoas, but not quite. specific species is palythoa grandis . sorry if im being anal or whatever. :confused:

Wow, gorgeous set up. I'm fixing to set up my first salt water tank. Fun fun

Wow, gorgeous set up. I'm fixing to set up my first salt water tank. Fun fun
yup... fun fun indeed... except i have a softie parasite running rampant in the tank. had to dip most of the corals in the pictures today. :grumpy:

hopefully they'll be fine still when i come back from a cruise next week. :(

Awesome setup! The pics are a little dark as everyone said, but post some more if you can get some brighter ones, I'd like to see them!

Most reactions

Back