Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I would appreciate any and all suggestions, critique, comments, observations, etc on the following images. There are three slightly different poses and lighting set-ups. Assume that these are head-shots for a small corporation's "Who's who" board.

Thanks!

Head1%20(1).jpg

Head1%20(2).jpg

Head1%20(3).jpg

They seem a little bit underexposed. Overall, good and clean lighting.

The off-centerness of the first photo doesn't really seem balanced enough for a corporate headshot, by which I mean that it just seems strange with one shoulder being out of the frame.

Do you have a reflector on the right ?

#2 has the best lighting ... but I do find something missing.

I think #2 is the best from the batch, but it is still under exposed. Is your monitor calibrated? Also looking at the catch light, it seems to be a relatively small light source.

Yep, monitored is calibrated. Light source is a speedlight and small SB; part of the reason for this was to develop a lightweight/small footprint solution that wil produce acceptable results outside the studio with a minimum of gear.

To be honest, I find the shadow in the subject left eye socket (nose side) to be a bit harsh in #1 and #2. Even the shadow from the nose is a little much. Light just seems harsh.. (not busting on you.. just giving my honest opinion!)

#3 is doable, but you can do better! Although if you are really trying to limit your equipment.... that may be the best it will do.

did a quick dodge on the eye socket... and lightened the photo a hair as it seem slightly underexposed to me also... do you see my concern, or am I being overcritical on it?

View attachment 6416

Last edited:
Nice. I use 1 SB800 in a 36x36" soft box and one with a silver reflector (1 stop under), standard Rembrandt setup. My softbox was about 4ft away from the person in this picture. Lighting was a bit hot in my pic but it shows these things are very capable.

6874161947_f9f4441d81_z.jpg

Nice. I use 1 SB800 in a 36x36" soft box and one with a silver reflector (1 stop under), standard Rembrandt setup. My softbox was about 4ft away from the person in this picture. Lighting was a bit hot in my pic but it shows these things are very capable.

Nice!

Thanks Charlie! LOL - didn't take it as 'busting'... I appreciate straight-forward answers (and I've been here long enough to develop a pretty thick skin! ;) )

Thanks Charlie! LOL - didn't take it as 'busting'... I appreciate straight-forward answers (and I've been here long enough to develop a pretty thick skin! ;) )

I added an edit... to that post! What do YOU think?

Nice!
Very - I think I may have tried to be a little too minimalist.

I'll add to what the others have said here with only one thing I noticed. As a head shot the person should be filling the image more, in these shots the blue shirt is half of each image Compose in tighter to fill the shot with the person.

I added an edit... to that post! What do YOU think?
I wasn't happy with the left eye shadow either, but wasn't sure if it was just me or not.

I'll add to what the others have said here with only one thing I noticed. As a head shot the person should be filling the image more, in these shots the blue shirt is half of each image Compose in tighter to fill the shot with the person.
Good point; there's lots of room for cropping on these, but they're more 'bust' shots as-is.

I hate hauling equipment by myself but the thought of having to retake motivates me..... well that and unhappy clients. lol
Fortunately this was strictly experimental, so no unhappy clients from this shoot. I think I'll swap out the [too] small SB for a medium-size brolly-box and try again.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back