Corrupted Memory Card

spacefuzz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have an 8 gig high speed SD card that was corrupted last time I tried to download photos from it. After reformatting it.....is it safe to use again?
It was expensive hence the initial hesitation about tossing it.

Format it in the camera it will be used in. DO NOT format it in a computer.

Why were the previous image files corrupt? As long as the card controller is not malfunctioning the card is probably still good.

Corrupt image files are usually caused by user error.

Format it in the camera it will be used in. DO NOT format it in a computer.

Why were the previous image files corrupt? As long as the card controller is not malfunctioning the card is probably still good.

Corrupt image files are usually caused by user error.

I format my cards regularly, and dump pictures from the camera to the computer using a cable so the cards rarely leave the camera. When I connected the cable and went to access the files they were just all unreadable. Hasnt happened since using another card hence the assumption the card was bad.

Not that I am too proud to admit user error, but the card hadnt left the camera in a while and I had done several prior shoots.

Thanks.

Get a card reader. Take the card out of the camera to upload to avoid possible camera power issues during upload, or make sure you put a fully charged battery in your camera before you upload.

It's also good to slide the card in and out for upload, so you burnish the card to camera contacts.

Get a card reader. Take the card out of the camera to upload to avoid possible camera power issues during upload, or make sure you put a fully charged battery in your camera before you upload.

It's also good to slide the card in and out for upload, so you burnish the card to camera contacts.

Ok thanks, I will change my standard practices.

I recommend to format it each time you start using it. Take the back of your file and format the card in the correct media before using it.

As you have formatted it. if there is no files that you want to recover from your formatted card , then you can just start using it.

After corruption, you have formatted it. Please, do not use it now if you want to recover previously saved photos. Because it may overwrite the stored photos and you will not be able to recover it for good by any mechanism. If there is not importance of of previously stored photos, then you can use it without worrying.

This is my worst nightmare! It is the main reason I am not shooting weddings now. I am terrified of this happening. Don't they have something where it will write to two cards at once? I can totally see somethign like this happening to me.

This is my worst nightmare! It is the main reason I am not shooting weddings now. I am terrified of this happening. Don't they have something where it will write to two cards at once? I can totally see somethign like this happening to me.

The D7000 has two card slots which can be configured in various ways, including a BACKUP mode which allows images to be sent to each card.

Most reactions

Back