Corry's Birthday Extravaganza Trip (and mini meetup)

The last of my pics....

These are from Monday, again in DC.

51 It was REALLY hot....we found lots of sitting places. :p
Sky020SM.jpg

Sky021SM.jpg

Sky022SM.jpg

So, we stopped somewhere to grab a quick bite to eat to hold us over til we met Joe for lunch....we both got bottles of water...well, the bottles of water were frozen solid. We were THIRSTY....we were doing everything we could to MELT that damn water! :lol: Here, we put our water in the sun on a hot stone bench. I entitle this one 'depseration'
DesperationSM.jpg

Sky023SM.jpg

56 At lunch
Joe011SM.jpg

57 HERE ON AVENUE Q!!!!!!
AvenueQSM.jpg

58 The Washington Monument, as viewed from the Jefferson Memorial
WashingtonMonumentSM.jpg

....and that's all from me. :(

Now, if only Joe and Sky would post! I'm anxious to see thiers!

Ok, so I just finished editing and uploading the majority of my shots. In total, I have about 60 +/- that I want to post (!). So here goes, in chronological order more or less:

The first batch:

FRIDAY:
1. Corry in a Starbucks in DC's Chinatown:
BaltDCPhilMtp01.jpg

2. Joe looking kinda creepy
BaltDCPhilMtp02.jpg

3. Joe trying to ruin Corry's pic
BaltDCPhilMtp03.jpg

4. ... again ...
BaltDCPhilMtp04.jpg

5. ... and again ...
BaltDCPhilMtp05.jpg

6. Mmmmmm Haagen Dazs
BaltDCPhilMtp06.jpg

7. Corry
BaltDCPhilMtp07.jpg

8. This neat little alcovey spot not far from the foot of the Capitol Building. My guess is it's where politicians come to meet with their spies ;-)
BaltDCPhilMtp08.jpg

9. (min)NESOTA, at the WWII Memorial
BaltDCPhilMtp09.jpg

10. (minne)SOT(a)
BaltDCPhilMtp10.jpg

I think I'll start posting in batches of 5 (give or take). That way hopefully some photos will spill onto the next page and there won't be all 12MB worth of my photos on one page.

11. Fountain at WWII Memorial
BaltDCPhilMtp11.jpg

SATURDAY, IN PHILLY
12. One of the first things we did after getting into Philly and dropping our stuff off at my house was head over to Isaiah Zagar's Magic Garden, on the 1000 block of South Street. Basically, it's a yard-sized space covered with all kinds of mosaics made from trash like bottles and bike wheels and mirrors and tiles and stuff. The artist does mosaic murals in this style all over the city, but the Magic Garden is his largest work. It's the first time I'd been inside. It's really cool and funky in there.
BaltDCPhilMtp12.jpg

BaltDCPhilMtp13.jpg

BaltDCPhilMtp14.jpg

BaltDCPhilMtp15.jpg

16. Yes, that's a 3-headed, 3-boobed doll
BaltDCPhilMtp16.jpg

17. It's an existential statement. (or part of a Banana Republic Sign)
BaltDCPhilMtp17.jpg

18. Yours truly, in all his beauty
BaltDCPhilMtp18.jpg

19. Corry and Joe sitting on some phallic thing (read: giant Sorry game piece) outside the Philadelphia Municipal Services Building
BaltDCPhilMtp19.jpg

20. Grrrrrr
BaltDCPhilMtp20.jpg

25. Night shooting in Philly. I found this sketchy little stairway with a door at the end that I liked, so I set up my self-timer and tripod. Then I decided to start having some fun with my flash. So it essentially looks like I'm pooing light in a lot of my shots.
I uploaded the wrong images for this series. I'll correct this later...

Ditto...

27. On Walnut (or was it Chestnut?) Street, over I95. I title this one "Gas and Grass"
BaltDCPhilMtp27.jpg

SUNDAY, AGAIN IN PHILLY (AND CORRY'S BIRTHDAY)

28. Joe taking in the scenery
BaltDCPhilMtp28.jpg

29. For dinner we went to the world-famous Morimoto restaurant. They have such amazing food at that place. Joe and I ordered the Omakase tasting menu, which consisted of about 8 small-ish dishes that were each more delicious than the last. That was definitely my best experience at this restaurant so far (and that's saying a lot).
BaltDCPhilMtp29.jpg

30. Joe scowling at the Phallus light that was in the middle of the table
BaltDCPhilMtp30.jpg

31. Changing the focus up. Don't you love the bokeh on my 50/1.4? :D
BaltDCPhilMtp31.jpg

32. Chopsticks (btw, the lighting around all the tables rotates colors slowly, which is why nearly every shot has a different hue to it) ;-)
BaltDCPhilMtp32.jpg

33. Reflection (ok, I'll admit, I photographed the phallus a lot...)
BaltDCPhilMtp33.jpg

43. After dinner, we went night shooting. Here's a reflection of City Hall in the windows of 1650 Arch St.
BaltDCPhilMtp43.jpg

44. LOVE Park
BaltDCPhilMtp44.jpg

45. Man and fountian
BaltDCPhilMtp45.jpg

46. The Comcast Center is the building under construction. It is now officially the tallest structure in the city. And if you're wondering, the leaves are yellow from the illumination of a street light. It's not Autumn in Philadelphia yet ;-)
BaltDCPhilMtp46.jpg

47. Joe playing with my fan
BaltDCPhilMtp47.jpg

On Monday, we were back in D.C., this time properly equiped with tripods and good weather. We decided to do our night shooting from the Jefferson Memorial while the light was good. We also revisited the WWII Memorial with our tripods.

48. The Washington Monument, as seen from in front of the Jefferson.
BaltDCPhilMtp48.jpg

49. Again, a little later in the evening
BaltDCPhilMtp49.jpg

50. Some typical-looking shots of the Jefferson:
BaltDCPhilMtp50.jpg

BaltDCPhilMtp51.jpg

Here's my last batch, folks. Actually, I still have about 2 to 4 more shots to post (panoramas and/or HDRs that I haven't processed yet). But those will have to wait till tomorrow or later.

52. Washington & Jefferson. I took my camera on tripod up to the area of the memorial where all the columns are, but I got a scowly look from one of the security guards, and I had a feeling he was just about ready to yell at me the second I put my tripod down. So I wandered off to the side where I found a neat spot kind of hidden by the bushes with a nice view of the Washington Monument.
BaltDCPhilMtp52.jpg

53. Back at the WWII Memorial. A famous quote from FDR.
BaltDCPhilMtp53.jpg

54. Facing the other way, you get the Lincoln Memorial in the background ;-)
BaltDCPhilMtp54.jpg

55. This was sort of an accidental shot. I was fooling around with Joe and pushed the shutter button while holding the camera on the tripod above the ground. I think the camera moved just the right amount to create a neat-looking abstracty shot of the fountains.
BaltDCPhilMtp55.jpg

56. The guy wouldn't move, so I just set it to a long exposure hoping he'd at least come out as a ghost. Luckily he did. I kind of like it this way.
BaltDCPhilMtp56.jpg

57. Looking upwards at one of the "Atlantic" / "Pacific" arches at either end of the memorial.
BaltDCPhilMtp57.jpg

And that's it for now! I'll have a few more coming along tomorrow or some time. What is there to expect? How about a pano of Union Station, a 360deg pano of Washington and Jefferson, a composite shot of traffic on the Ben Franklin Parkway, and maybe--just maybe--an HDR pano of the Washington Monument (if I can get it right). So stay tuned ;-)

Enjoy.

You have SO many great shots in here, Sky! And I really like that first one of me!!!

There are quite a few I'd like to have the files to so I can get prints. :)

And I seem to remember a few that are missing from here, mister! :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back