Could Nikon be on its way out?

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been shooting Nikon cameras for years now and that's not because of their specs, but because of how their cameras feel in my hand. I like where the buttons are placed and I like their menu systems and can't deny their good high ISO performance.

But for a while now I've seen more and more people switching to Canon because of Nikon's problems..oil, dust, no aperture control during video, different exposures from live view to viewfinder, cheaper build quality, no touch screen, loud shutter, terrible quality control, and I'm sure there are more..but these are the more common reason I've seen for users switching to Canon. To be honest, I rarely see any people complain about Canon, So it raised a question in my head..could Nikon possibly be on its way out of the photography industry?

i dunno, it seems like the last bunch of threads about switching were people switching from Canon to Nikon.
the only time i ever hear about someone going from Nikon to Canon is people that do video.

don't think it is on its way out. It could be out before canon would be though. Canon makes more than cameras. Far as i know nikon really only makes cameras, least as a primary business.. I could be wrong. Canon can survive selling less cameras and lenses. Can nikon? Doubtful from what i know anyway. It is a huge company though. Take a lot for it to go "out"

don't think it is on its way out. It could be out before canon would be though. Canon makes more than cameras. Far as i know nikon really only makes cameras, least as a primary business.. I could be wrong. Canon can survive selling less cameras and lenses. Can nikon? Doubtful from what i know anyway. It is a huge company though. Take a lot for it to go "out"

Well Nikon has always been a optical company, they even make semiconductors and what not. They've been doing those things before Canon I believe.

I heard today that Nikon received a very threatening video from the hacktivist group Anonymous! So, it is possible that they will be leaving the industry.

No, wait...it was Kanye "imma let you finish" West that was taken to the woodshed...
Millions are praying that West will leave the industry.

I've been shooting Nikon cameras for years now and that's not because of their specs, but because of how their cameras feel in my hand. I like where the buttons are placed and I like their menu systems and can't deny their good high ISO performance.

But for a while now I've seen more and more people switching to Canon because of Nikon's problems..oil, dust, no aperture control during video, different exposures from live view to viewfinder, cheaper build quality, no touch screen, loud shutter, terrible quality control, and I'm sure there are more..but these are the more common reason I've seen for users switching to Canon. To be honest, I rarely see any people complain about Canon, So it raised a question in my head..could Nikon possibly be on its way out of the photography industry?
Gee, nerwin, it sounds as if you have been reading from an alternative internet. I've heard people complaining about Canon on my internet.

There are people switching from Canon to Nikon also.
I think Nikon stands behind the oil problem.
If someone doesn't like the sound of the Nikon shutter, he can switch it to "quiet shutter release", which is quieter.
If someone wants to make video, he can purchase a video camera.
What advantage is there in a touch screen?
Live view has other issues, so I don't use it very often.

When Nikon stops making film, then you will know they are getting out of the photography industry.

no. just, no.

Do any of you watch Dom Bower on YouTube? He's been complaining about Nikon left and right. It just got me thinking. That is all. Figured I'd discuss it here to see what other people think.

Do any of you watch Dom Bower on YouTube? He's been complaining about Nikon left and right. It just got me thinking. That is all. Figured I'd discuss it here to see what other people think.
There's so many on the internet that complain about everything ...

Well, even Thom Hogan says Nikon on on the downhill slope...... just because they're not doing what HE wants.

But I'll betcha dollars to doughnuts Nikon will never make a perfect camera for me, either.

Don Bower is an idiot.

you're basing your entire hypothesis on his videos that highlight his incompetence??

and hell, even in his 25min regurgitation of all the specs of a d800, he says: If my canon stuff does die, I may just go buy this second hand.

Never have heard of Mr. Bower...have never seen anything he's done.

The camera business is in tough shape. We've got people on this board second-guessing everything Nikon does. "The D7200 is too expensive!" "I cannot change my aperture without needing to switch out of live view because I bought the CHEAPER, consumer model and not the pro-oriented body!", "This camera only shoots at 6 frames a second, not 10!" and so on and so on. There's an entire segment of people who want flagship-grade cameras at consumer body prices, and they complain all over the web and YouTube about how Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc. all have released products that do not satisfy their individualized needs or wants.

"I want a B&W only d-slr," is one wish I've heard for some time. Last week we had a guy here on TPF who wanted a d-slr that had ONLY manual exposure control--sort of a 1940's d-slr one might say. This is the type of climate that exists today. It's VERY clear: Nikon is reserving full-time aperture control/aperture override in video capture mode for the high-end bodies; if you want that, the choices are to use a lens with a physical aperture ring, or pay more money to buy a better camera. Simple.

Last edited:
there's nothing to hear.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back