What's new

Could use some guidence in a laptop purchase

pcolaheadbussa

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 14, 2011
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
Location
Las Vegas, NV
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Like i have mentioned in my other thread regarding programs, i just purchased a nikon d90 off ebay today and am trying to get everything i need to get to taking and editing pictures right away. I currently do not have my own computer (use my gf's VERY old acer laptop) and am looking to purchase one as soon as possible. I wish i could go with a desktop to make things cheaper but i will be making a trip from las vegas to florida every year and will be needing my computer with me. I am comparing computer on best buys website now but could use some guidance in the right direction. I have heard that a good screen is key along with a strong processor and memory. I can figure out the processor and memory needs mostly but not sure what a good quality laptop screen would be? Any help much appropriated. thank you
 
Yep, what you need besides a good CPU and lots of memory is a decent screen. However there's no way of telling if a laptop has a good screen apart from using it for a couple minutes. Of course you can get a professional laptop with IPS screen, but they are quite pricy, so it depends on your budget really. If you can't spend a big pile of cash, you'll have to get one with a TN screen, and they vary a lot, and I mean a lot, even across computers in the same series. There are cheap laptops with pretty decent screens and expensive ones that simply won't do it. You can find some reviews, but there's no guarantee that the reviewer can tell if a screen is good for photo edits or not.

Another thing you might want to keep in mind is the hard drive. RAW photos can fill your disc in no time, but I guess that's not a problem with spacious modern HDDs. But there's more to hard drives than capacity. If you care a lot about performance, and not so much about battery life, consider getting a 7200 rpm drive, which may give you an additional boost. The downside - they are a bit louder and tend to wear off faster than 5400 rpm HDDs.
 
Probably help if you post a budget...

Id plan on buying a good external monitor and calibration unit then use the remaining funds for a laptop and max out the memory. Finding a decent screen on a laptop can be difficult or expensive. Even then, calibrating accurately is highly dependent on surrounding light conditions.
 
Go with a IMAC, or if you want a laptop then macbook pro, and use a monitor for a bigger editing screen.
 
sorry about not posting the budget. At the very most i wanna spend is $1200, Mac Pro Prices, but thats the very most for now. I was thinking about going with mac due to every pc i have owned has been plagued my always slowing down to the point where it wouldnt work. I admit that i was always lazy with the anti virus and here that there are some really good, even free anti virus programs out there. So i am trying to find a good pc laptop if possible. Anyone have a link to an example of a good external monitor?
 
sorry about not posting the budget. At the very most i wanna spend is $1200, Mac Pro Prices, but thats the very most for now. I was thinking about going with mac due to every pc i have owned has been plagued my always slowing down to the point where it wouldnt work. I admit that i was always lazy with the anti virus and here that there are some really good, even free anti virus programs out there. So i am trying to find a good pc laptop if possible. Anyone have a link to an example of a good external monitor?
Dell 30" IPS display

Dell 23" IPS display
 
Asus G73-JH. Best buy has a version thats 1200 instead of 1600.
I have the 1600 version, and man do i love it.
 
I bought a 13 inch MacBook Pro today shipped to my door for $1048. Refurb store for the win!
 
Where can i find refurbished macbooks? I have looked at the few websites i know of with no luck.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom