Couple Collages I Made...Opinions please :)

jowensphoto

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently did a maternity shoot for a friend and had posted some pics up on here. I used some photos to make collages. I have my favorite, and I'm going to print, matte and frame for her as a gift. I have too much bias/emotional connection with the photos to really be the best critique, so I'd love to hear which is your favorite of the three (or if there's any changes you'd like to suggest).

6756382755_6b94fcddba.jpg

6756382715_276152dfc9.jpg

6756382679_7050bf8293.jpg

Jess, so you are going to print it as a collage? Remember, when you print this, it may not be totally centered. The outside border may not be symmetrical. Meaning once in a while you can see the left border is thinner than the right after you print it out. IMO it is a bad idea. The best way is to not have OUTER framing.

Thanks for pointing that out. I used a template off of Photoscape (someone mentioned it on here earlier today... completely forgot I had it installed on my machine).

Not sure how I can be certain they are of equal thickness. When I matte the print, do you think that I will be able to slightly compensate to make the boarders appear even if they are off a little?

Just saw the last sentence... I can redo it without the framing. I did order a print of this already, but it was only a whopping 57 cents. No big deal if it doesn't work out.

if you are going to mat it, then definitely dont put border on the outside. Just make sure nothing that is important is too close from the edge.

The best trick is to just use white border on the inside and opt to have white border when you print it. That way you will for sure have nice outer border. Does that make sense?

Makes sense... I think ;)

I'm heading out for the day, but I'm sure I'll have time to mess with these more tomorrow (de-framed).

Any opinion on which collage/picture combo you like best? My personal fave is the last one.

As a momma I gotta say I'd love the 3rd one as a present if it was me :) the others are nice don't get me wrong but 3 is great.

Makes sense... I think ;)

I'm heading out for the day, but I'm sure I'll have time to mess with these more tomorrow (de-framed).

Any opinion on which collage/picture combo you like best? My personal fave is the last one.

+1

The reason an outside border likely won't print nicely symetrical is because of 2 things:

1. They cannot register the paper that accurately.
2. The image is usually printed at a slightly larger size than the actual photo to make sure it goes all the way to the edges (known as full bleed).

As a new mom I wouldn't be showing the 3rd one to anyone because the stretchmarks are too eye-catching.

I don't think the stretch marks are that noticeable. I like 1 & 3.

Thanks everyone.

KMH and Schwetty- thank you for explaining the printing process. That is a part of photography that I'm still learning. The insight is GREATLY appreciated!

As far as the stretchmarks go, she doesn't mind them. I think it's all part of the natural beauty of childbearing/birth... but like I said, too much emotional connection for me to be the best critique.

Most reactions

Back