Couple from a recent family session

Juga

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all. Just a couple shots of a couple. :) . They had their two year old boy along but he refused to smile or sit still. Please provide any and all C&C. My biggest issues with them is that I slightly cut them off at the bottom and wish I had used a faster shutter speed but again I really would love any feedback. I will post more from the session later.
1 $Alwardt 2.jpg
2$Alwardt.jpg

Looking at it on my phone now and they look a bit orange... I will have to check my monitor

Ya, the color looks fine but you're right, slightly out of focus. Also the crop as you mentioned.

Thanks man. I use to crop really bad. Slow and steady progress.

Tough crowd...anything else? I know these aren't spectacular but I would really enjoy some input. I don't mind harsh criticism :D

I think the two main issues have already been addressed, but I'll add my thoughts on the posing. In #1, they do NOT look like a 'couple'. If you'd asked me, I would have thought cousins or brother & sister. Get the heads together and have their arms around one another. #2 shows interaction with each other, BUT, not with the viewer; it looks rather like you snapped this when they weren't expecting it. If you want to do the 'gazing into each other's eyes' look, then they should have expressions of equal intensity; here it looks like he's talking and she's listening.

ANY feedback? Well, o.k., if you insist.

Tee-shirts with graphics of any kind are seldom appropriate for portraiture. Yes, I know the man wore the shirt, and didn't have another with him, but look at the wording in the second shot. I see "American ***/E". This critique should be read by anyone who might be posing for a picture. Does he really want his shirt to proclaim that statement?

ANY feedback? Well, o.k., if you insist.

Tee-shirts with graphics of any kind are seldom appropriate for portraiture. Yes, I know the man wore the shirt, and didn't have another with him, but look at the wording in the second shot. I see "American ***/E". This critique should be read by anyone who might be posing for a picture. Does he really want his shirt to proclaim that statement?

haha, thanks. :D

1/30s for both of them at 88mm and 105mm... Very slow for portraiture, and that focal length. I would try to be at least at 1/100s for shooting people just because of slight body movements. If you're shooting a 6D, don't be afraid to raise your ISO.

I took this at ISO 800 as just a test shot when I got the camera. Looks pretty clean to me.

iMPb3joy6A40a.jpg

Thanks John, Tyler, Trever, and Designer. I am certainly not afraid to bump the ISO anymore with the 6D it is a fantastic tool. For me my biggest issues are cropping at awkward places and when I don't I tend to leave too much dead space. As with anything though it takes patience and practice. Which is why I ask for all the C&C and bump my posts because I really appreciate everyones' advice on this forum. I believe I am getting better but I obviously have more to learn.

I really like the expressions in the first photo, so I took a few minutes in Lightroom to crop and darken the background a bit for added focus on the couple. Admittedly I'm not a pro or anything, but I thought it would be as good practice for me as critique for you. :)

Before
View attachment 52412

After
$Alwardt 2-2.jpg

Most reactions

Back