Couple of images of the sun looking for some critique please.

Seventen

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$13759956234_470dfdb607_b.jpg$14026170346_518006349f_b.jpg

A couple of images here that would like some critique on please. The first one I like quite a lot with the way the clouds look and how the sunset is making them stand out, I was going for a reflective sillouhette look with this.
The second one I was trying to go for a mirrored look with the water looking so still and the detail in the clouds looked quite pleasing.

Thank you

#1 seems a little too dark.

#2 the reflections are nice, but this is somewhat static with nearly equal amounts above and below the horizon.

I hope you don't mind my messing about with it:

$14026170346_518006349f_b - Version 2.jpg

Alter as much as you like its nice to see other peoples views on it. The first image I was going for a darker look I quite enjoy very dark looking sunsets, But I will try in the future to do some more options get it looking a little lighter.

The second one I found it hard to get the reflection shown without being equal but when the sun went behind the cloud I took this one.

$14049305755_08db6b60ba_b.jpg

In both those shots it looks like you have some image sensor 'blooming' around the Sun.

BLOOMING
When the maximum charge capacity of the CCD or photo-diode is exceeded, the excess charge will overflow into
adjacent CCD cells or photosites. This overflow of photogenerated charge is termed Blooming. The result of blooming
is a corrupted image near the blooming site. The extent of the image degradation is dependent on the level of excess
charge and on the architecture of the imager being used. The effects of blooming can be minimized by incorporating
an antiblooming structure near the charge collection site. Antiblooming structures are constructed so as to provide a
safe path for the excess photogenerated charge (i.e. blooming charge). Vertical antiblooming structures reside below
the charge collection site and allow excess charge to overflow directly into the substrate; whereas, lateral
antiblooming structures reside adjacent to the charge collection site and allow excess charge to overflow into a
reversed biased diode. Clocking schemes may be used to reduce blooming; however, these are less effective at higher
frame rates.

While it may be cameras different from yours, the images in the article do a good job of showing what blooming looks like:
Fujifilm X10 'Orbs' Investigated. Does the Firmware Fix Work?: Digital Photography Review

In both those shots it looks like you have some image sensor 'blooming' around the Sun.

BLOOMING
When the maximum charge capacity of the CCD or photo-diode is exceeded, the excess charge will overflow into
adjacent CCD cells or photosites. This overflow of photogenerated charge is termed Blooming. The result of blooming
is a corrupted image near the blooming site. The extent of the image degradation is dependent on the level of excess
charge and on the architecture of the imager being used. The effects of blooming can be minimized by incorporating
an antiblooming structure near the charge collection site. Antiblooming structures are constructed so as to provide a
safe path for the excess photogenerated charge (i.e. blooming charge). Vertical antiblooming structures reside below
the charge collection site and allow excess charge to overflow directly into the substrate; whereas, lateral
antiblooming structures reside adjacent to the charge collection site and allow excess charge to overflow into a
reversed biased diode. Clocking schemes may be used to reduce blooming; however, these are less effective at higher
frame rates.

While it may be cameras different from yours, the images in the article do a good job of showing what blooming looks like:
Fujifilm X10 'Orbs' Investigated. Does the Firmware Fix Work?: Digital Photography Review

Thanks for pointing this out, To fix this problem do I need a firmware upgrade? Sorry really feel a bit lost here on how might fix this issue.

I think the second one would be better if the exposure were longer. Right now the water looks swampy.

Most reactions

Back