Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
critique away!
DSC00509.jpg

DSC00404.jpg

DSC00685.jpg

DSC01101.jpg

I am not a wedding photographer so, from a professional standpoint there may be issues.

From a personal standpoint I like the look and feel of the shots and not having been there I can sense a good capture of the mood and atmosphere.

Love the angle of the second shot, love what you did with the third shot, the DOF the closeness and final shot looks like you caught the bride and groom sharing a personal moment...which makes for a great memory IMO. :thumbup:

None of these images except the last one are leveled. That really bothers me. It makes the photos look very snapshottish.

I understand that the lighting in a church is usually less than stellar but I sure hope you took these images also in RAW. In RAW you can hopefully salvage some of the under or overexposed parts of the images. In #1 the groom's suit is just a black hole. In #2 the bride's dress is pretty blown out.

#3 works in terms of exposure but it would have been great to have all men/boy look at the camera for this particular shot.

In the last shot I would retouch those dirty/banged up elevator doors for a cleaner look. The poster in the background with the word "food" is not adding to the image either. These are detail that you may get rid of in post processing.

If the couple is happy with the pictures - it's all that matters but there is room for improvement! Keep going!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news...but I can tell the lighting sucks, so you should have brought a tripod. They're mostly soft, did you shoot hand held? I don't like the sepia toning at all, and the B&W in #1 & #2 are way too contrasty. No details in her dress or his suit, she's blown pretty badly. The halo behind them isn't helping either.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news...but I can tell the lighting sucks, so you should have brought a tripod.

Ummm...no. Tripods and wedding/event photography are usually not a good mix. Can you see yourself setting up a tripod in the middle of the church isle and having to rush to move it out of the way as they are coming down, potentially missing shots, and hitting aunt Gertrude in the head with the legs?

I would skip the tripod for weddings. This is the reason why wedding photographers use top gear and top knowledge... bad lighting. 2.8 and faster lenses, pro camera bodies for high ISO... not a tripod.

As for the images:

1- I dont mind the tilt in the image, its not too bad. I dont like how its not well exposed though. As pointed out, the groom's tux is totally black and the back of the church ceiling is very white. Not a good mix. Maybe a different angle, cutting out some of the ceiling would work? It also seems blurry where as the groom's face is not in focus. I also dont like where it was cut on their legs.

2- Nice angle here, I like that. Better in the exposure department, but the focus seems to be on the small flowers on the side? My eye was hunting for what is in focus and couldnt land on anything. I would of loved to have the couple in focus here or a foreground focus subject a bit more obvious

3- Interesting shot. I feel the groom is way too in your face in the image. Back off slightly to make his face less imposing and more interesting. As mentionned, I dont like how they are all facing in different directions, with the second guy also looking at the camera. Odd choice, what were you going for?

4- If this was a pure candid, nice job getting it! If it was posed, then you should of taken more time to not get them smack in the center and maybe get less of the door. Its a nice shot overall though.

I hope you werent paid for this event. It looks like it was good practice for you though

Like the first one. though not sure about the sepia ish tones. the second one really doesn't work, the crop and the out of focus. I'm not a fan of technical rules, but some images demand to be in focus, this one is definitely one of them. First Wedding? I think you made some gutsy and brave decisions to be creative, I like the concept, I see the vision, brave shots.

Emma Flavell

Contemporary photographic services in Inverness, Scotland - Portraits, Weddings and Portfolios. Emma Flavell Photography - EmmaFlavell.co.uk

I hate to be the bearer of bad news...but I can tell the lighting sucks, so you should have brought a tripod.

Ummm...no. Tripods and wedding/event photography are usually not a good mix. Can you see yourself setting up a tripod in the middle of the church isle and having to rush to move it out of the way as they are coming down, potentially missing shots, and hitting aunt Gertrude in the head with the legs?

I would skip the tripod for weddings. This is the reason why wedding photographers use top gear and top knowledge... bad lighting. 2.8 and faster lenses, pro camera bodies for high ISO... not a tripod.

As for the images:

1- I dont mind the tilt in the image, its not too bad. I dont like how its not well exposed though. As pointed out, the groom's tux is totally black and the back of the church ceiling is very white. Not a good mix. Maybe a different angle, cutting out some of the ceiling would work? It also seems blurry where as the groom's face is not in focus. I also dont like where it was cut on their legs.

2- Nice angle here, I like that. Better in the exposure department, but the focus seems to be on the small flowers on the side? My eye was hunting for what is in focus and couldnt land on anything. I would of loved to have the couple in focus here or a foreground focus subject a bit more obvious

3- Interesting shot. I feel the groom is way too in your face in the image. Back off slightly to make his face less imposing and more interesting. As mentionned, I dont like how they are all facing in different directions, with the second guy also looking at the camera. Odd choice, what were you going for?

4- If this was a pure candid, nice job getting it! If it was posed, then you should of taken more time to not get them smack in the center and maybe get less of the door. Its a nice shot overall though.

I hope you werent paid for this event. It looks like it was good practice for you though

+1

Well, I'm not a pro and I like them all. No, they're not technically perfect but they're really fun, not your typical wedding shots, and I think they show artistic merit. I particularly like #3, the shot of the groomsmen. I think that's a truly fun shot and everything that was posted as a negative above about it is actually a plus if you ask me. The shots are a little crooked and the light in #1 could have been better, but it's a lovely set of shots for all that. Lots of personality going on and I like that.

As for the images:

+2

Most reactions

New Topics

Back