Courses / tutorials?

Nesiah

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have trawled the web, and of course there are a ton of online courses and YouTube videos.

Can anyone recommend an online course (don't mind paying) and maybe a youtube channel tuturial?

I'm only a week old as far as photography is concerned, so looking for a fun way to learn the basics.

- Rik

I watch Jared polin as far as basic learning on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, I have a couple of comments:

1. Welcome. Both to the PF and also to the addiction, er, uh, hobby...yes, that's it, hobby, of DSLR photography.

2. I'm more of a reader than a video watcher. Everyone has a different learning style. Do what works for you. But I'll make suggestions of some books (or authors who also have video). That's b/c even if you don't start with a book, at some point you'll go there...simply b/c it's a better form for photos and you'll want to reference or study them at times when learning.

3. I have a bias (especially for newcomers). I like to recommend a source that is prolific. For instance, if you read a John Hedgecoe book and find it good and you like his writing style....he's got 31 other freaking books out there! So you can go to other versions and not feel like "why did I buy this book/video? I hate his/her style, it makes no sense to me!" Instead, you've watched one video or read one book and you have a feel for the writing style and thus can be confident that watching more videos or spending money on a book won't be a waste for you. So....if you can...look for resources that have done a lot of work (so that if you like the first one, you can turn to the subsequent work and like enjoy it as well). For instance, I like Joe McNally's writing style and detail--others are turned off by it. I know I can read any of his stuff and enjoy it.

Those comments acknowledged....take a look at Bryan Peterson. He's written a bunch of good books that aren't technical (i.e.: they aren't about how to set exposure compensation or do rear curtain sync with your flash...they're about camera basic principles, composition, creating good photos). And he has a series of very short videos (like 2 minutes a piece) at the Adorama site (Adorama TV). You can watch a couple and if you like his style and demeanor, than buy a book or watch the whole string of videos. John Hedgecoe is great (tons of books). Scott Kelby has books and videos and workshops so he's another guy who's prolific.

Last tip: read your manual. It will be dry and boring, most of it will be lost on you and you will curse me for having suggested you do this. Then go back and read it again after you've been shooting for a month and have read someone else's book or seen a couple of videos and you'll discover parts of the manual that have magically appeared that weren't there the first time.

Last edited:
will curse me for having suggested you do this.

This!!

I was trying to find another way - but everywhere I look says instruction manual!

If you cant beam um, join um i guess - thanks =)

I have trawled the web, and of course there are a ton of online courses and YouTube videos.

Can anyone recommend an online course (don't mind paying) and maybe a youtube channel tuturial?

I'm only a week old as far as photography is concerned, so looking for a fun way to learn the basics.

- Rik

Check out CreativeLive CreativeLive: Free Live Online Classes - Learn. Be Inspired.
You can watch live courses for free, but you also can purchase the course for viewing at a later time. I usually watch some of the live sessions, and if I like the content, I purchase it.

Doug

Some good advice. I recommend the John Hedgecoe books for their style, content, and hundreds of diagrams and instructional photos in every single book. They give an overview, a sort of map of the wilderness, to the newcomer, and each chapter is a sort of self-contained lesson which will build your skills and increase your understanding.

MUCH of photography has not changed since the film days of the 1970's...we still have tele-zooms, normal lenses, wide-angle lenses, speedlight flash, studio flash, and of course LIGHTING is still much the same: front,side,back lighting, overcast lighting, diffusing light with studio lighting modifiers like umbrellas or scrim, using reflectors to soften the shadows--all of that stuff is, basically, conceptually unchanged from where we were by the late 1970's.

I'd go online, and buy one of his books. Many titles are as low as one cent, with about a $4.99 shipping cost. After that, explore videos on YouTube, perhaps look around the web at some of the tutorials available on-line, as in Post #6 above by KmH.

thanks all for the input!

This is a very well covered subject in the forum archives. Searching there would have given you your answers.

I don't know that you'll be a good candidate for a written tutorial if you can't first search through some written material.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back