cousin wants me to shoot wedding

Running away very fast may sound like a no-risk idea. But to the couple, it is a cop-out. They will remember that they had to pay someone when they didn't have money, or recruit someone with less talent than yourself to do it for free. If you don't have another SLR body, bring a good point & shoot for a back-up. If you need to use it, you will be so happy to have a back-up that you won't care about the funny looks you're getting for using a P&S. I carried a good P&S as a back-up for two of the three weddings I've shot. I never needed to use it, as I checked my equipment ahead of time. They were all a smashing success, and even managed to get creative on the last one I did.

One piece of advice I'll give you is to make a checklist of "must have" photos ahead of time. Go over the list with the bride & groom. Try to put them in the order they'll happen. This will do a lot to relieve your nerves.

Let us know what you decide.

i really appreciate all the feedback! I talked to my cousin and told them my situation and i for sure would do it for free. the actual wedding is about a year away so i have plenty of time to practice. I have never done portraits but i imagine that will be what i'm going to practice for a while. Since its a year away i think i'll be able to get a flash and a lens. Both my girlfriend and I will be taking pictures, she has a sony a100 with a 70-300mm lens so i think i'll just get like a 50mm large aperture lens. I went to a wedding a long time ago where they handed out disposable cameras, and i'll pass that along to them.

And they have plenty of time to save for a pro

And they have plenty of time to save for a pro

Hehe, but what fun is that?

If they're willing to take the chance with him, it is the perfect chance to gain the experience.

...or maybe they'd rather spend the $ on the honeymoon.

Most reactions

Back