Covered Bridges

Gobae

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I started taking covered bridge photos as a way to get out and see more NY/VT locations while COVID is going on since they offer nice drives through beautiful countryside without social interaction. Ultimately, I think I'm going to continue to take more covered bridge shots to add to my portfolio and increase my outdoor/landscape/natural light skills.

That said, I'm concerned about taking shots that are all too similar to one another. Also, most locations require wide angle and close proimity and I want to know if people find the vertical tilt distortion is distracting.

All (except where noted) all were shot with a Nikon D850, Tamron G2 24-70mm, ISO 100 and a merged 5 shot bracket (-2 to +2 stops) to help with bright skies and harsh shadows.

Thanks!

i-xf32KW7-XL.jpg

2. Nikon D90, ISO 800, 38mm, f/11, 1/100"
i-gQ89nXK-XL.jpg

i-tRC8z27-XL.jpg

i-ng6CJGd-XL.jpg

i-Vgx83WZ-X2.jpg

i-jVbFjSd-X2.jpg

i-K4TWrMh-X2.jpg

i-Hn7mwn2-X2.jpg

Nice set. Number 6 takes it for me just because it's straight down the barrel. We don't have them here.

Hey, where have you been hiding? Looks like you joined around same time as me but don't have many posts?
I guess I needed WAY more help than you did. :)
I like them!
Sunburst #5, green reflection #2 will be beautiful in fall, snow on a covered bridge is to die for, etc...
Yes, keep at it, please. :)

Whoops, I realized this is the C/C and I didn't help....will be more careful...

Love covered bridges we have many here in PA!

Hey, where have you been hiding? Looks like you joined around same time as me but don't have many posts?
I guess I needed WAY more help than you did. :)

Lol, mostly I hide out on the Nikon specific forums (Nikon Cafe, Nikonites, etc). But lately I've decided to give this one more time.

Well, welcome back.

Nice set.

The covered bridges are always a nice item to shoot. If it weren't for the COVID i would be out shooting the old Adobe houses using a T/S lens.

Too many pics to critique but I will say I like the pics that are well lit the best, like how #2, 6, and 8 are. Nice shots.

I like #2 the best. Nice job.

Too many pics to critique but I will say I like the pics that are well lit the best, like how #2, 6, and 8 are. Nice shots.

Correct, I wasn't looking for a critique on each one but as a group "I'm concerned about taking shots that are all too similar to one another." Did you find the shots too much alike to hold interest when presented as a group?

Thanks!

Correct, I wasn't looking for a critique on each one but as a group "I'm concerned about taking shots that are all too similar to one another." Did you find the shots too much alike to hold interest when presented as a group?

Thanks!

No. They held my interest just fine, you did well.

Hi Gobae, You have a pleasing variety of images here, so you have nicely avoided the "catalog of covered bridges" look. Here is a suggestion of a theme you might consider. For each bridge, take a photo that shows it in its place, (Its name and place) take an image of the same bridge from the wider angel of the area it spans, then take a series of interesting close-ups showing the unique characteristic of that same bridge. Actually you have done that, except you have included several different bridges. What I am suggesting is you use the same approach for each bridge. You will end up with a "set" for each bridge. Maybe you have already done that! But, I would like to know when I am looking at close-ups from which bridge they have come from. You have chosen wonderful subjects. Keep up the good work!

Interesting set of pictures. I haven't seen anything like this before, why are they covered? So people can stop and shelter from the weather?

The covers keep snow off of the bridge which made a big difference during horse and buggy days.

Interesting set of pictures. I haven't seen anything like this before, why are they covered? So people can stop and shelter from the weather?

The covering significantly helps the lifespan of wooden decking and supporting structure; increasing it from (an average) 20 years all the way up to 80-100 years.

Most reactions

Back