CPL what brand

smlblk396

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What brand of polarizer do you prefer and why?

B+W, Lee, Singh-Ray and Heliopan are, IMO, the best. They produce the most pleasing results and least distortion. They are however the most expensive. My 77mm B+W cost in the area of $250; a 77mm Singh-Ray Blue-gold in thin-mount can cost $400.

Multi-coated Tiffen and Hoya filters are good, consumer grade filters.

I use a B+W MRC. It's worked great so far. I don't really know what the difference would be between this and a $400 filter.

I have a Heliopan as well - seems nice. It was the only brand the dealer I went to carried.

B+W makes good CPL's. Nikon "used to" make some nice, over-sized CPL's with front surfaces much larger than the filter rings, which were nice on really wide-angle lenses. A quality CPL will last 20+ years, so the price is a one-time penalty...until you drive off and leave one sitting on the rail fence there at the observation area, or set it down on the jetty rocks at sunset...

I actually had cheaper Sunpak CPLs in multiple sizes. Now when I got my L lenses they are both 77mm so I didn't feel as bad dumping $100 on a quality CPL since it will work across both lenses and last a long time. My 50mm is 58mm thread so I still have my old Sunpak, but I doubt I would ever use it on that lens. I really only pull out the 50mm if I want shallow DOF or if I really need help with low light which isn't too often.

until you drive off and leave one sitting on the rail fence there at the observation area, or set it down on the jetty rocks at sunset.

Sounds like a bitter memory.:lol:

B+W makes good CPL's. Nikon "used to" make some nice, over-sized CPL's with front surfaces much larger than the filter rings, which were nice on really wide-angle lenses. A quality CPL will last 20+ years, so the price is a one-time penalty...until you drive off and leave one sitting on the rail fence there at the observation area, or set it down on the jetty rocks at sunset...

LMAO... so I'm not the only one!

Wasn't my filter, but I did leave my tripod bag. Although it wasn't the observation area, I had to be a billy goat and climb down the side of the coulee and yes I have gear insurance. ;)

the dealer in my area sells kenko. Thanks for all of the info.

Thanks for this thread :)

I've been considering which brand to put on the front of the 10-22mm.

B+W CPL it is!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back