Cracked

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is a shot from the weekend at Bay Du Dor, I was using both digital and film, this one was taken with my 60D. What attracted me to take it was of course the crack but almost moreso the web.

Would love to hear your thoughts, thanks for taking a look!

IMG_5592bw-2 by Judi Smelko, on Flickr

I saw the others yesterday, and did not realize those massive cleats were made of hollow sheet steel-fascinating! This is a neat subject matter, and a goodf composition, but the tones on this are not 100% ideal for bringing out the scene's depth. I think the blacks are too plugged-up. The scene just drops into blacks too abruptly. The near-side wall area for example is very dark on the left side, yet on top it's "way,way high on the Zone System scale" (lol, inside joke), but the transition seems, well, incorrect. I know what kind of light this is supposed to be, but I do not think this is quite the best way to convey that. My eye craves seeing more detail in the lower zones.

What is cool about this photo though is HOW those cleats have been made, and how they have been attached. I saw the several photos of this place yesterday, and the pictures made me wonder if ships or large vessels were docked there frequently in the past or what, and I actually wondered why what appeared such a small harbor or bay had such a big seawall area. I saw the damage to it, and had a lot of questions. ANd I actually thought that those cleats were big, solid iron rods, but they apparently are not. The spider webs are interesting. And as nit-picky as it sounds, I would clone out that white spot at the top of the frame 1/3 of the way in from the right: even though it is small, it's a major distraction: it's as big as the Moon. My eye goes to that danged thing over and over. Clone tool! Clone tool, Judi!

The scene was interesting. I wondered about the place. This is a good detail shot from it. Glad you took this shot.

Thanks so much D, I actually used a blue filter to eliminate the bright green patches through the cracks, I didn't think it flattened it that much but I can see that it loses some separation now that you mention it. Here is the original before conversion, any thoughts on where to go with it? ....

IMG_5592-1 by Judi Smelko, on Flickr

Most reactions

New Topics

Back