Craigslist scam

Many Hats

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This was discussed a few months ago but bears a repeat warning as the guy is still posting on Craigslist. I just emailed a guy advertising a Cannon MarkII for $1300. Got email back with wording almost exactly as posted a few times by others on this list. Said he was in London, UK and we could use Royal Mail for the transaction. Yadda, yaddda, yadda. Thanks to others on this list I knew it was a scam. I just emailed back that when he returned to El Paso, TX. to get in touch and I'll buy it when I can see it in person. Don't expect to here from him again.
Laura

ya I got an email when I was selling a dirtbike on there. 1 day after it was posted I got this email.
-
Hello,
Am Scot, i will like to know if the item is still available
for sale? Get back to me with current condition of this item.
Thanks.
-
Then I responded because this didnt seem too fishy. Then the response was this
-
Thanks for getting back to me.Yes am interested and you can consider this item sold as you can withdraw the advert from craigslist to avoid disturbance.I want you to know that i will be paying with a Bank Certified Check .I will need you to provide me with the following information to facilitate the mailing of the check .

1.Your full name to write on the check
2.Your mailing address(Not a P.O Box pls).
3.Cell Phone number.

**I will like you to know that you will not be responsible for shipping i will have my mover come over as soon as you have cashed the check.Thanks.
-

I knew it was a scam right away so I decided to play along but I didn't give any information to him. Finally I got to asking him his phone number and he sent a number and I called it just for fun to see who answered or if the number was real. No one answered. I looked it up and it was a number from NY and I am from MA. then I responded and said no one answered, is there a better time to call? I got no response. Some people... I don't know what they think they are doing? Being funny? Being mean? I don't know but they are too aggresive with their responses like "you can consider this item sold and remove your ad" Nobody that was really buying something would ever say that, and nobody would ever fall for it. No wonder they are so stupid. O and another giveaway was that the first email was from [email protected] and the second one was from [email protected]. I found this one gy who posted on craigslist ripping on those scammers with really low prices it was hilarious. Ill find it and post the link.

As a craig'slist fan, I recently put a lens up for sale (nothing too expensive) I have an interested buyer but couldn't meet him to show him the lens, so I'm going out on a limb and sending him the lens, letting him test it out and if he wants to keep it send me a check if not send it back... I know a ton of people are going to call me stupid but I'm not worried about it.

I only deal locally on craigslist. If someone 100 miles away wants to buy my items, I am willing to meet them at the train station or the bus station (since I work nearby), but I am not going to send anything out or drive 200 miles roundtrip to MAYBE make a sale.

OH, don't get me wrong, I love Craigslist. Just got back frome driving 4 hours (each way)to get my son a killer used drum set. Well worth the gas $$ for a huge crazy set that he will build his indie band dreams with. Just wanted to keep the scam thread going as I'm sure many would fall for it (myself included) given the reputation of the Craigslist site. Yeah, buyer beware, but sometimes these deals are almost too irresistable. BTW I do have a Wave Runner jetski for sale if anyone is interested, abd this is no scam.

ya I got an email when I was selling a dirtbike on there. 1 day after it was posted I got this email.
-
Hello,
Thanks.
-
-
Thanks for getting back to me.Yes am interested and you can consider this item sold as you can withdraw the advert from craigslist to avoid disturbance.I want you to know that i will be paying with a Bank Certified Check .I will need you to provide me with the following information to facilitate the mailing of the check .

3.Cell Phone number.

**I will like you to know that you will not be responsible for shipping i will have my mover come over as soon as you have cashed the check.Thanks.
-

I knew it was a scam right away so I decided to play along but I didn't give any information to him. Finally I got to asking him his phone number and he sent a number and I called it just for fun to see who answered or if the number was real. No one answered. I looked it up and it was a number from NY and I am from MA. then I responded and said no one answered, is there a better time to call? I got no response. Some people... I don't know what they think they are doing? Being funny? Being mean? I don't know but they are too aggresive with their responses like "you can consider this item sold and remove your ad" Nobody that was really buying something would ever say that, and nobody would ever fall for it. No wonder they are so stupid. O and another giveaway was that the first email was from [email protected] and the second one was from [email protected]. I found this one gy who posted on craigslist ripping on those scammers with really low prices it was hilarious. Ill find it and post the link.

That's exactly what I got. I'm selling my car on Craigslist and I got that same exact e-mail. I really don't like scammers.

Mr. Green Scott at [email protected] (1st email) and [email protected] (2nd email) is alive and well on CL. I too am selling a car. Here is my second email:

Thanks for getting back to me.Yes am interested in buying the item, i
want you to remove the ads from the Craigslist and consider it sold. I
want you to know that i will be paying with a Bank Certified Check
which i will instruct my secretary to mail it to you because am
traveling.Just to let you know that you will have the payment before
Friday 29th. I will need you to provide me with the following
information to facilitate the mailing of the Check.

1) Your full name to write on the Check.
2) Your mailing address(Not a P.O Box pls)
3) Cell Phone number.

***I will like you to know that you will not be responsible for moving
this item i
will have my mover come over as soon as you have the
payment.Mail me back immediately.Thanks.

I googled '[email protected]' and your forum was the only hit. Thanks for confirming the scam hunch. I really dislike scammers!!!
Tim

-
Hello,
Thanks.
-
-

3.Cell Phone number.

-

The HORRID English should have tipped you off that it was a scam. Also, when they refer to the product as "the item."

Oh I knew it was a scam as soon as he said "so you can take your ad down" I was like are you kidding me, no way is this for real

Most reactions

Back