sm4him

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
sm4him.500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Thursday, I finally felt healed up enough to go try to shoot something. So, I took the day off and headed to Hiwassee Refuge, where I'd been planning to go the past two weekends, but couldn't after the accident. Hiwassee is located in Dayton, TN and is the winter home of thousands upon thousands of migrating sandhill cranes. It's a sight to behold when they are all there--unfortunately, full access to the refuge closes on Nov. 15, until the first of March. So you can only view them from the observation deck, and as Scott (SCraig) and I discovered last year, that is WAY too far away for many good pictures.

So--I was determined to get there on Thursday, the last day of full access, and I was praying that a few early arrivers would be there. When I first got there, I heard NOTHING. Which was a bad sign, because Sandhill Cranes make NOISE, a lot of it. However, as I walked out toward the water, I could see that there were, indeed, a few cranes at the edge of the water--maybe a dozen.

About thirty minutes later, though, the cranes began arriving in droves. Hundreds of them flying overhead, landing at the water or over one of the nearby hills, making their weirdly interesting sound. It was an amazing sight and well worth the VERY sore chest and shoulder I was rewarded with the next day!

Unfortunately--my Sigma lens seems to have gotten jostled a bit too much in the wreck and I had terrible focusing issues with it. I had way, WAY more shots OOF than in-, and of course even fewer that were "keepers." But it was still tremendous fun!

1. Sandhills on the Shore

2. Two by Two (although sometimes, they flew alone--sometimes in groups of four, and sometimes in groups too big to count!)

3. Sandhill Fly-By--this is the shot I waited nearly a YEAR to get. It's the kind of shot I'd hoped to get when Scott and I visited the refuge last January, but they never got this close to the observation deck.

4. Just Hold It A Little Longer--"Ooooh, let's land SOON, guys, I gotta go pee!" :lmao:

5. Sparrow on the Corn. Because the sparrows needed some attention too.

6. Sparrow 2

As always--general comments, C&C, and witty banter are appreciated!

They're beautiful! I love #4 and #5 (sparrows are too cute for words). I can't decide if that out of focus branch in the foreground of #6 bothers me or not.

Glad to hear you were able to be up and shooting again :)

Very nice i like 3

Glad to see you are feeling well enough to get out there and shoot again! I still have never seen a Crane so they are cool to me!

Nicely exposed , but just another bird with a sky blue background.
Hey I have an idea....................lets wait for one to fly over me!

6397663619_b9da6da565_b.jpg

Great shots. Love the detail that you have in the wings of the BIFs. That first sparrow shot is also a wall hanger IMO. Don't think I knew about the accident, but then I was away for a good part of September and the first part of October, so I may have missed that info. Regardless, nice to hear that you are up and around again.

WesternGuy

That shot was worth the year wait- excellent all around. Glad you are on the road to normalcy..
Western Guy, look in 'off topic' forum about Sharon's accident, she got lucky that day!
Nancy

Good on you for getting out there, and as always I prefer the in flight shots. Very nice!

Thanks, everyone, for your comments!

They're beautiful! I love #4 and #5 (sparrows are too cute for words). I can't decide if that out of focus branch in the foreground of #6 bothers me or not.

Glad to hear you were able to be up and shooting again :)

Thanks, limr! That OOF branch bugs the snot out of ME, but whadda ya gonna do? :D

Great shots. Love the detail that you have in the wings of the BIFs. That first sparrow shot is also a wall hanger IMO. Don't think I knew about the accident, but then I was away for a good part of September and the first part of October, so I may have missed that info. Regardless, nice to hear that you are up and around again.

WesternGuy

That shot was worth the year wait- excellent all around. Glad you are on the road to normalcy..
Western Guy, look in 'off topic' forum about Sharon's accident, she got lucky that day!
Nancy

Well, fortunately, I haven't been out of commission THAT long, WesternGuy! It's just seemed like a very long time to me--time may fly when you're having fun, but it drags on forever when you can't go out and SHOOT things! :lmao:

And yes, Nancy, I was extremely "lucky"--or well-looked-after! I still can't believe I managed to get hit from behind AND head-on and didn't even have any broken bones...in fact, didn't even break my glasses, although they did go flying off!

I really liked the set, Sharon! #5 stood out to me! That little guy is just too cute and the colors around him are so complimentary. Glad you got a chance to get out and take some shot before everything closes down for the fall/winter. I hope you didn't hurt too bad. =)

Nicely exposed , but just another bird with a sky blue background.
Hey I have an idea....................lets wait for one to fly over me!

Ummm...okay. Thank you for your comment--although I confess I'm not quite sure just what to make of it.
Yes, the pictures of the cranes up in the sky are, at their basis, "just another bird with a sky blue background." I could have made the background orange instead...THAT would have been different! :D
I'm not sure if your photo is just a "I have pictures of birds in the sky too" addition, or an attempt to instruct me in the finer points of "bird in the sky" photography. Either way--and I truly don't mean this to sound ugly or anything--perhaps you could start your OWN "Birds with a sky blue background" thread to share YOUR photos? 'Cause this one's mine. :D
(NOTE: That really IS meant to be just a humorous, but gentle reminder--or perhaps LightPainter wasn't even aware of it, being new--that unless there is some specific reason, it's generally frowned upon to post your photos in someone else's photo thread.)

Nancy

Thanks Nancy. I went and looked and it didn't look to good, or, at least, the descriptions of what happened didn't read well. I noticed the post was about the first of November. I probably didn't see it because it is not a forum that I tend to look at and I had only been back a week or so after a couple of weeks in the Galapagos and I was still sorting through the 3500+ images that I had taken on my trip.

Regardless, I am glad for Sharon that things are on the mend and hopefully you will continue to recover fully and get back to doing your photography thing. I also hope that you don't have too many problems with your insurance company.

Best wishes, :mrgreen:

WesternGuy

Most reactions

Back