Creating Digital Backgrounds

Just my personal feeling but to me they generally make the image look flat, as in lacking depth. To many photographers cut, paste and call it done. A good digital artist will work the background (sometimes using multiple images) and the subject together, to establish perspective and size relationships. I lean toward the theatrical set design as a preferred method, because it's easier for me to visualize 3d objects.

Just my personal feeling but to me they generally make the image look flat, as in lacking depth. To many photographers cut, paste and call it done. A good digital artist will work the background (sometimes using multiple images) and the subject together, to establish perspective and size relationships. I lean toward the theatrical set design as a preferred method, because it's easier for me to visualize 3d objects.

Thanks! I just learned how easy they are to make, and hoped there were some pluses for them.

Thanks! I just learned how easy they are to make, and hoped there were some pluses for them.

There are, just depends on the image, the background, and tbe person doing the editing.

well in the simplistic form, circa 2002, easiest thing was to take a photo of a person on a real life background that closely matched the desired digital background.

hence a quick cut operation close to the photographed person, followed by pasting that onto the desired digital image would give good results

Most reactions

Back