Creative exposure or nothing special?

pharmakon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I decided to focus the nut and leave the squirrel out of focus... like or don't like?

4074398679_2a42e986c5.jpg

not really, the squirrel is still what draws my attention

Generally when we view a photograph, we look from left to right....it's sort of a natural progression and what the "Golden Spiral", "rule of thirds", etc., basic art rules ...are based on..

I think that what may help this photo, from a viewers perspective, is to reverse it so your eye picks up the nut first as the focal point on the left, then let our eye wander up to the slightly out-of-focus squirrel..

You might crop in a bit closer too........

Give it a try.........:thumbup:

I think Larry is onto something. Cropping more off the top and bottom would be worth a try. I think the top is he most distracting part, but there is a bit too much out of focus foreground. The rail itself is ample as a leading-in device.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll give it a try this weekend when I (finally) have some quiet time.

I don't really mind the composition as much as the squirrel being out of focus. I think if it was a little brighter (this might be because of my monitor though) and the squirrel was in focus it would be a much better image. I see where you are coming from but with the nut being so smalll it just doesn't work.

Thanks JIP, I was actually thinking about that during the drive home. I think a larger nut closer to the front/bottom of the frame would have looked better. Unfortunately that just happened to be the nut, well actually just half of an empty nutshell, that was sitting there at the time (I didn't bring any with me).

Maybe if I ever go out there to shoot again I'll bring a big *** walnut with me just for kicks. It seems like everyone must feed the squirrels there because if you so much as wave a stick in the air they all come running to see what you have.

I kinda like it. I think the focus on either would be acceptable. great photo, i love the body language of the squirrel! haha

FWIW, exposure generally refers to all the shutter speed, aperture, and ISO stuff, as in, how bright or dark an image is. What you're talking about I guess would be composition.

Generally when we view a photograph, we look from left to right....it's sort of a natural progression and what the "Golden Spiral", "rule of thirds", etc., basic art rules ...are based on..

I think that what may help this photo, from a viewers perspective, is to reverse it so your eye picks up the nut first as the focal point on the left, then let our eye wander up to the slightly out-of-focus squirrel..

You might crop in a bit closer too........

Give it a try.........:thumbup:

Left to right? Since when? That's a HUGE generalization. The eye can be led from bottom to top, right to left, diagonally or in spirals depending on composition and the lines in the frame. Not to mention that while such a generalization may appear true for the general population of people whom read and write in languages read from left to right, I highly doubt—in the absence of evidence to the contrary—that such a generalization would hold true for the vast populations of persons whom converse in languages read from right-to-left (e.g. Arabic) or vertically (e.g. Asian languages).

I think it's cool, however I personally think it would have been cooler to have the squirrel in focus, and the nut in the foreground blurry. :eek:)

Left to right? Since when? That's a HUGE generalization. The eye can be led from bottom to top, right to left, diagonally or in spirals depending on composition and the lines in the frame. Not to mention that while such a generalization may appear true for the general population of people whom read and write in languages read from left to right, I highly doubt—in the absence of evidence to the contrary—that such a generalization would hold true for the vast populations of persons whom converse in languages read from right-to-left (e.g. Arabic) or vertically (e.g. Asian languages).

I do agree it does sound like a huge generalization, but its something that I have had experienced photographers (Hertz on here, though he is not around much these days) tell me the same. Certainly for the western based nations it sounds like a sound viewing plan - as for nations where they read right to left you have to factor in that photography itself came from the west to start with. Thus the convention of viewing images left to right was also imparted with that and I belive that that has (possibly) lead to a similar viewing pattern in those nations as well.
It's something that I don't know much more about than that.

Unfortunately that just happened to be the nut, well actually just half of an empty nutshell, that was sitting there at the time

I do agree it does sound like a huge generalization, but its something that I have had experienced photographers (Hertz on here, though he is not around much these days) tell me the same. Certainly for the western based nations it sounds like a sound viewing plan - as for nations where they read right to left you have to factor in that photography itself came from the west to start with. Thus the convention of viewing images left to right was also imparted with that and I belive that that has (possibly) lead to a similar viewing pattern in those nations as well.
It's something that I don't know much more about than that.

That's right.. and as I said, it is a generalization.

However, if you get into competition at the upper levels, and the judges have been schooled in the same art, design, and composition theory, you can lose points if your photo does not have a left to right flow..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back