Creativity or the lack thereof

delko

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi.

Say I do a photoshoot with a model at one location.

And I shoot in a few days another model but at the same location.

Wont most of the angles of the photos and the ideas be the same?

Wont most of the backround be the same?

I meen there must be an obvious logical answer.

The problem is... I cant get a new location for each person I want to photograph.

When I shoot , ussualy I look around and see what I can use .

But then I also have to think about the shoot before it actually happens... planing...imagining.....

What is the answer?

Creativity?
Ideas?
Props?
Clothing style?

I know it wont be exactly the same...but it might be similiar.

Please just correct me.Its a obvious answer or argument and i Just dont know the answer.

Please just tell me how do you guys ussualy see it,what really happens?

Thank you

What is the purpose of the shoot itself?
Who are you shooting for - you - the model? Are you paying them; are they paying you?

Like tfcd. And shooting female friends. No one gets paid.

I think what Overread is hinting at is that if you are shooting for your own portfolio, then having 5-6 models all in the same location, same poses (or close to) will show a lack of creativity to people viewing your work. (Unless you've got them grouped together under some title like Saturday's open shoot at the pier) If however these are for the models for their portfolios, then people are less likely to even know you shot other models at the same location.

Click Addict has certainly got part of it right. There are many many many photos that are often repeats of the same work just with different models - heck look at your common portrait its almost case for case the same pose, lighting, background just with different people. For the photographer its the same shot; for the people being photographed its "their" portrait and thus important to them.
So taking different models to similar venues and shooting similar shots isn't a bad thing from their point of view in general - unless they specify that they are after something really unique.

From your persepective there are a few things to consider:
1) Repeating the same place over and over can result in a weaker presented portfolio; same is true if you were using the same few models for a variety of scenes. A photographers portfolio needs to show breadth in both subjects and locations (at least based on what I know of what you're shooting).

2) Repeating the same place with different people need not at all result in the same photos. This comes down greatly to your own creativity and I'd be surprised (shocked) if you could get every possible shot at a location within only one single sitting. Vary the lighting, the poses, the angles, vary the content, the appearance of the model etc...
This is your chance to test yourself and push your own creative boundaries (having creative and active models helps as well).

Unless you're shooting products what you should be trying to capture is the personality of the model. The background is just a frame to lend foreshadowing to the moment in time that you captured an image of the person.

Two heads are usually better than one (except when they are on the same shoulders). Brain-storm with your model(s) what poses and looks they like and what expression or personality they want to reveal. Then, use your skills to make it happen.

Use the same location dont use the same location. Its up to you.

I shoot in the same locations a lot.
Someone who didn't know I was shooting the same location over and over probably couldn't tell or wouldn't notice. I shoot different poses in different spots pretty much every shoot.
Challenge yourself to approach every shoot differently.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back