What's new

Credulous

kulten

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 13, 2012
Messages
31
Reaction score
29
Location
Poole, United Kingdom
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit

Location: Dorset, United Kingdom, 2010
Equipment: Nikon D200, Nikkor 50/1.8, 30s at f8, ISO 100, 50mm



dsc0989d.jpg



Thanks in advance for any comments.​
 
Nahhh, I'm not that gullible. The horizon is still centered. :lol:
 
I love this shot. The conversion looks good and the choice of black and white suits it, but what I really like is the surreal feel of the photograph.
 
Nice enough shot, but as kundalini points out, it could be much better if the horizon weren't centered. IMO, there is also not enough contrast difference between the lower portion of sky and the water.
 
+1 on Kundalini's and sm4him's comments! The centered horizon, and lack of contrast kill it for me.
 
I like this a lot. I'm not bothered by the centered horizon (I think K might have been joking, but who knows?) and there seems to be plenty of contrast in the rocks, although the water is inherently low in contrast (it would be a mistake to try to make it otherwise). I thought at first that cropping the bottom a little would improve it, but I wouldn't want to lose the way the reflection blends into the water.
 
+1 on Kundalini's and sm4him's comments! The centered horizon, and lack of contrast kill it for me.

-5 internets for all of you.

What exactly is wrong with the horizon where it is? Where else would you put it? When will you people stop with these silly rules, many of which don't even apply to square format? Just look at the image for christ sake, and not "uh oh! rule of thirds say you should have..." I am not even sure where this "horizon in the center" rule came from, I never heard of it until recently.

Square format lends itself to centering, diagonals from the corners and composition based on triangles rather than rectangles. One reason why shooting in a square format s so difficult is because the compositional guidelines are so different.

Second, this is a low key image, not a low contrast image. There is plenty of contrast there, all the tones are there, there is nothing lacking at all. You people seriously need to learn what contrast is. Just because there is not a lot of blacks does not mean that the image is lacking in contrast. Would you have preferred the shadows be plugged up? Again, LOOK at the image, not for a laundry list of broken rules.

Comments like these are embarrassing.
 
Minimilist - love it just the way it is.
 
+1 on Kundalini's and sm4him's comments! The centered horizon, and lack of contrast kill it for me.

-5 internets for all of you.

What exactly is wrong with the horizon where it is? Where else would you put it? When will you people stop with these silly rules, many of which don't even apply to square format? Just look at the image for christ sake, and not "uh oh! rule of thirds say you should have..." I am not even sure where this "horizon in the center" rule came from, I never heard of it until recently.

Square format lends itself to centering, diagonals from the corners and composition based on triangles rather than rectangles. One reason why shooting in a square format s so difficult is because the compositional guidelines are so different.

Second, this is a low key image, not a low contrast image. There is plenty of contrast there, all the tones are there, there is nothing lacking at all. You people seriously need to learn what contrast is. Just because there is not a lot of blacks does not mean that the image is lacking in contrast. Would you have preferred the shadows be plugged up? Again, LOOK at the image, not for a laundry list of broken rules.

Comments like these are embarrassing.

Thank you for your comment, I totally agree with it.

The fine art and square format have own rules. Another words my rules as a artist :) .

Anyway all comments are appreciated even if I desegree with them.

According to lack of contrast I cant agree with that feedback. I always look after about details, avoid over and under exposure and also do my best to keep proper levels (and also screen calibrated :)) .

According to center horizon I tried to preserve appropriate balance between the main object (rock with the shadow), sea and sky.
 
I would call that art.
 
I really like how the clouds mirror the curve of the rocks. Centered horizon - works for me in THIS shot. Great contrast between the roughness of the rock and the smoothness of the water and the "softness" of the clouds. I can see this as a very large print. Uh huh. I'd be proud to claim that as one of my own. But as it is not, I'll just admire it. Thanks, Kulten!
 
I really like how the clouds mirror the curve of the rocks. Centered horizon - works for me in THIS shot. Great contrast between the roughness of the rock and the smoothness of the water and the "softness" of the clouds. I can see this as a very large print. Uh huh. I'd be proud to claim that as one of my own. But as it is not, I'll just admire it. Thanks, Kulten!

Thank you and very glad you like it!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom