crime scene investigator, in need of D7200 help

rat495

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I work as a crime scene investigator from just outside Chicago. My dept replaced my old camera (Canon Rebel T3i) with the Nikon D7200. Here's my issue: I work midnights, so low light photography is primarily what I do. I use manual settings for a majority of my photos. With the newly assigned D7200 after I take a photo, the camera automaticly changes my settings. Is this something I am doing wrong? Or camera/hardware issue? I'm familiar with the "exposure triangle" as well as stops, but can't seem to figure out what it's doing..

Example of Typical settings I would have with my old Canon:
ISO Varies 600-~ depending on lighting
f11-23
40-50 typical Shutter speed
External flash@45 degrees.

If I was to set these peramiters I would take a photo and it would come out properly focused and exposed. The next photo, the camera will change my settings to a shutter speed of 1/9 or lower of a second. Or change my f stop to 5.6. Again, I am familiar with the exposure triangle.

By no means am I a professional photographer. I need to take quality and accurate photos to either prosecute or exonerate a person. Any help is appreciated

Thanks.

Shoot in manual mode. Set your camera to Auto ISO. Then you can choose the aperture and shutter speed you want and the camera will change the ISO as needed.

The next photo, the camera will change my settings to a shutter speed of 1/9 or lower of a second. Or change my f stop to 5.6.
Do you have bracketing activated?

I work as a crime scene investigator from just outside Chicago. My dept replaced my old camera (Canon Rebel T3i) with the Nikon D7200. Here's my issue: I work midnights, so low light photography is primarily what I do. I use manual settings for a majority of my photos. With the newly assigned D7200 after I take a photo, the camera automaticly changes my settings. Is this something I am doing wrong? Or camera/hardware issue? I'm familiar with the "exposure triangle" as well as stops, but can't seem to figure out what it's doing.. Example of Typical settings I would have with my old Canon: ISO Varies 600-~ depending on lighting f11-23 40-50 typical Shutter speed External flash@45 degrees. If I was to set these peramiters I would take a photo and it would come out properly focused and exposed. The next photo, the camera will change my settings to a shutter speed of 1/9 or lower of a second. Or change my f stop to 5.6. Again, I am familiar with the exposure triangle. By no means am I a professional photographer. I need to take quality and accurate photos to either prosecute or exonerate a person. Any help is appreciated Thanks.
I work as a crime scene investigator from just outside Chicago. My dept replaced my old camera (Canon Rebel T3i) with the Nikon D7200. Here's my issue: I work midnights, so low light photography is primarily what I do. I use manual settings for a majority of my photos. With the newly assigned D7200 after I take a photo, the camera automaticly changes my settings. Is this something I am doing wrong? Or camera/hardware issue? I'm familiar with the "exposure triangle" as well as stops, but can't seem to figure out what it's doing.. Example of Typical settings I would have with my old Canon: ISO Varies 600-~ depending on lighting f11-23 40-50 typical Shutter speed External flash@45 degrees. If I was to set these peramiters I would take a photo and it would come out properly focused and exposed. The next photo, the camera will change my settings to a shutter speed of 1/9 or lower of a second. Or change my f stop to 5.6. Again, I am familiar with the exposure triangle. By no means am I a professional photographer. I need to take quality and accurate photos to either prosecute or exonerate a person. Any help is appreciated Thanks.
Sounds like it must be bracketing. Turn that off.

Awesome. Thanks everyone. I do believe bracketing is turned on. I'll try that as well as auto ISO.

Awesome. Thanks everyone. I do believe bracketing is turned on. I'll try that as well as auto ISO.
BTW, rat495; you can reset all settings to the factory default settings using the "two button" reset.

I have a different camera and I use older manual lenses so mine can't change the aperture. But what it does sometimes in lower light is if I aim the camera say, down toward the floor momentarily where there's less light, and still have the camera on, it reads the light at floor level and resets the shutter speed for the light it's reading.

If that happens I either flip the dial and reset the shutter speed back to where I had it set, or turn the camera off and back on. As long as the camera's turned on it reads whatever light it's aimed toward, even briefly.

This is indicative of bracketing mode. Just make sure it's off and you shouldn't have an issue.

Sounds like typical bracketing mode to me as well, just turn it off and you should be fine.

Yeah, bracketing. I forgot to turn it off after doing some sunsets once, and wanted to throw the camera into the swamp the next day trying to shoot wildlife. Eventually I noticed it was dark, OK, light, dark, OK, light, remembered the bracketing the night before.

Just as bad is setting it on self-timer, forgetting to turn that off, and wondering why it won't click when you push the button, but clicks when you take the camera away from your eye to look at the buttons and ask it "What's wrong with you??!?!?!?"

Not that I've ever done that........... :)

Most reactions

Back