critique my flowers please

Ernicus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been reading others opinions and critiques and some of you give some very solid advice. I find that most of my flower pics are the same..as far as technique and other general settings/standards, so I picked two of my flowers for you to murder and I think it will help me out as I adjust to the flaws you may find.

Both have a bit of post shot work in ps as do most of my stuff. Side question...if I am finding myself doing a lot of editing post shot, does that mean I am not taking the photos correctly to start with?

I have the raw files I can convert and upload if that will help you critique my actual photo shooting vs. my editing.

Thanks!

$flowercritique1.jpg$flowercritique2.jpg

Excellent exposure and saturation... but they're too big for the frame and dead center.

So even close ups should be off center a bit, and not all encompassing of the frame?

As 480Sparky said, exposure and color saturation is dead on. What you're having consistent issues with is composition. As these pictures stand now, they all are dead centered, way to large for the format size, and lack any real interest. They look exactly like what one would see in a book or magazine on types of flowers.

so I should leave more of the stem to get him out of center and not so big? like in this shot?

$flowercritique3.jpg

Thanks for the info. I was trying to get as close as i could and still be in focus...practicing how to use my new camera. Didn't really think of comp when shooting as much as detail and clarity, something to think about as I love to shoot flowers.

so I should leave more of the stem to get him out of center and not so big? like in this shot?

View attachment 8918

This is better as you're leaving some breathing room around the flower, but it's still nearly dead center. Here's a few macro florals that work compositionally. Spend some time and go through as many floral threads as you can. Read the posts, evaluate the pictures, and see what you like and what you don't. Saying that you weren't paying attention to composition while learning how to use your new camera, is just backwards. It's the end results that count, not how you got there.

$452012_157.jpg

$Planting Fields _042011-40.jpg

I don't think any of my closeups are off to the side like that, thanks for opening my shutters to it. I'll work on it next go round. I don't have a macro lens yet, so I don't call my pics macros yet...lol.

Most reactions

Back