Critique My Lighthouse Shot

canon30Dguy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Looking for some honest criticism or opinions on this Lighthouse I shot from boat with a Canon 30D. Thanks.

This one I like a lot. The only thing I can see is the horizon lin leans at a downward slope toward right of the photo..Borderline exposure on the whites, but just acceptable. Any more and it would have been lost. You managed to maintain the balance.. Nice composition. I like the inclusion of the boats in the background for scale.

Nice, I do not see the horizon lean at all. I think I would prefer the shot without the foreground boat. Sky seems a bit desaturated, did you vignette it or do any post?

-Shea

This one I like a lot. The only thing I can see is the horizon lin leans at a downward slope toward right of the photo..Borderline exposure on the whites, but just acceptable. Any more and it would have been lost. You managed to maintain the balance.. Nice composition. I like the inclusion of the boats in the background for scale.

NikonLady52, thanks for the comments! I kinda got lucky with the boats placed where they were on this shot. We were cruising by at about 30 mph, so I got one shot at an angle I thought was interesting. If you look closely, the woman in the back of the tour boat is taking a photo of the lighthouse. I thought this was pretty cool considering that was what I was attempting to do.

Nice, I do not see the horizon lean at all. I think I would prefer the shot without the foreground boat. Sky seems a bit desaturated, did you vignette it or do any post?

-Shea

Hey Shea, thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'll be back out on the water and will get more chances to shoot a lone lighthouse without other boats. I think it may be more dramatic leaving the lighthouse by itself amongst the vast water for a different look. I didn't do any vignetting in post, it's probably from the lens being at full tele. Hope to see your comments in the future!

I see some vignetting, but that might have been post-processing as much as lens-caused. I like the shot. It's interesting to look at. Good work.

Trenton, thanks so much for the kind words. The lens caused the vignetting, I'll be sure to be more cognizant in the future. Hope you chime in on my future photos!

IMO, it is a well-done but not very interesting picture.

The_Traveler, thanks for your thoughts! I definitely see what you mean. I think it may be a mixture of the daylight landscape (nothing really going on with the sky) and because the light was quite even on the lighthouse, there is no defining shadows to make the lighthouse "pop". Thanks for sharing and hope you share in the future!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back