Critique please?

I'm just going to comment on number 1, only because I feel as though that could be a "money shot" the rest I enjoy and think are quite nice, but their just shots where as 1 you had a posed subject etc. I am by no means a pro, this is just my opinion.

It should really be in black and white, given the what looks to be black and white of her dress, white curtains, white blown out light in the back, the little bit of color you can see in her hair and red in her face throws me off personally.

She should be in front of the curtains, while I get what you may have been trying to do, in this instance it just does not work with her outfit and her posture.

The image as a whole needs to be a bit brighter and more exposed, though I do like the darkness of her outfit, her hair and the left side of her face, but she needs more light where light is showing on her right side. If you want to work on this one, you should be able brighten it up a bit and give her a bit more light on the right side of her face while keeping it looking natural.

I honestly would LOVE to see you do this exact shot over again with her in front of the curtains, maybe even just of her face how she is now.. Get some sort of reflector, hell a piece of white project board would probably work great, if not try and very small low output lamp just to give her one side some light. I like the idea of the back ground being a bit overexposed

Some may have some other thoughts.. but those are mine

Yeah. Actually, all the images that look flat were taken on the same day. I went to my first photography class and it ended up raining but I really had no choice. I was playing around in photoshop last night and made them look a bit better. Thank you!

Gear shouldn't determine whether things look snapshotty, by the way. Better gear is nice and all, but fine work can be done with almost anything.

ive seen shoots that ended up in magazines shot with iphones.. IIRC some photographer posted a youtube video and did a Maxim or something of the sort shoot with an iphone

I have a friend of mine that showed me some photos he took last weekend on a road trip, they were breathtaking, a few better than what Ive seen him do with his 7D, they were shot with his HTC phone

Good job in starting out. Keep up the practice!

Some advice: Only post the "better" pictures and if you want meaningful critique, post 3 or less unless your expecting a general critique of the entire body of work, i.e. Senior session, wedding, etc. As far as the above, if you can't see in the very first shot you posted that your subject is poorly lit then maybe you just don't have the eye for photography. If you can see that, but just don't know how to achieve your desired result, then I would suggest just posting that photo, seeking help from the community in regards to the challenges that you encountered with it.

I got excited to see Frequency back... then realized things were not what they appeared. :grumpy:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back