Critiques/Improvements

photoshooterOTW

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Everyone- Just got here, I'm 15, and quite recently bought a Canon t3i. I was wondering if you all would look through my (new) flickr page, and let me know what I could improve upon in the photos I've uploaded within the month, cause I know I have a long way to go. Idm anyone following, comments here or on the page, as well as compliments (cause hey, who doesnt like those :p)

Flickr: photoshooteroftheworld's Photostream

Thanks,
photoshooteroftheworld

P.S Each of my photos has a story behind it, which I will be adding soon

I think your pictures are great. You have a natural affinity for balance within the photos such as the Niagara Fall Maid of the Mist photo. The story behind the photos are nice especially when your doing something like a photo essay. But individual pictures ought to stand on their own by the viewer's eyes. I caption mine, but only for reference. I hope they don't effect the viewer's appreciation of the photo although sometimes it's nice to explain where you took it, etc. Nice work; welcome to the site. Al.

There is a lot of loneliness in your images, shooter.

Thank you! I see what you mean, that makes sense! Thanks for the advice.

I don't understand Victo- Do you mean the lack of people?

Keep working at your craft. A lot of your photos have a sort of distant, disinterested third party type of vibe. What I mean is they are not the kind of compositions that really reach out and GRAB the viewer...they are instead more like studied snapshots, studied for-the-record types of photos. At age 15, I think it's pretty good work, but there are some compositional and framing techniques, and some photography techniques, that you could learn from a seasoned teacher of photography.

I would suggest looking into THIS author's photo instructional books. John Hedgecoe. he wrote a lot of books. One or two of them is exactly what you need, so that you can learn the true BASICS of visual communication, without the recipe-book B.S. nonsense of newer digital photography books. You need to learn how to find light, approach light, and where to place the camera in relation to the light, and then how to use a lens to compose a compelling, interesting photo. Not how to post-process, not how to edit in Lightroom, but how to do the BASICS, the secrets, of photography.

Photography has been studied and practiced since the 1840's, and photographic technique is what you need to learn. Digital photography as an advanced art, has been around since roughly 2007. The lessons of the first 160 years are MUCH more-important to learn than the lessons of the past seven years.

Looking at my photos, I see what you mean about them not reaching out and grabbing the view especially. I've heard of his name before- Is there any specific book you can name off the top of your head? I was thinking his "New Book of Photography" or "The Book of Photography" in general before going more indepth. All my friends say that I should add effects, play with photoshop- but I, personally don't like it cause "photoshop didn't always exist". Thanks!

Last edited:
You go from micro to macro and everything in between. Good job.

Keep trying to be great.

Just pick ONe, or two! John Hedgecoe's Books - Google Search

"Complete Photography Course" is good; "Complete Guide To Photography" is good; "The New Manual of Photography" is good;"Workbook of Photo techniques" is good; "How To Take Great Photographs" is good. I've read a lot of his books. He had a gift for instructing and for writing.

Most reactions

Back