Critiques Please

dominic22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
triboroughfd.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, my name is Dominic. I am 16 years-old and I am very interested in photography. I have always wanted a professional camera since I was little. I am just recently getting involved with "advanced" cameras. I just recently owned a Fujifilm FinePix HS20/EXR and was not content with the fact that it did not have interchangeable lenses. I returned the camera and I am currently saving up to buy the Nikon D5100 as well as a few accessories and hopefully a decent lens. I am currently studying more about cameras, accessories, techniques, and other very important things.

While I had my HS20 I didn't have much knowledge at all, I still don't but I have more than I did. I would just like for my pictures to be critiqued, I doubt if I will hear any positive feedback but all criticism is welcomed. Thank you, and hopefully I will be able to enjoy my stay at The Photo Forum and I hope that I can gain a lot of knowledge from those who are experienced.

2r6yuc6.jpg

I noticed the blur on the picture, it would have probably made the picture a little bit more interesting if I had taken the photo at an angle.

2e4ax7d.jpg

I took this picture of a K9 officer's dog.

20qcgf5.jpg

I really like this picture, I think I see some slight bur on the lower body of the dog. Please ignore the blur on the officers shirt, I had to blur it out.

v5ivdj.jpg

I like the angle at which the picture is taken.

16hulo6.jpg

I like this picture due to the fact that you can sort of see the bite, and you can also see the dog, completely. It would have been nice had I been someone behind the dog, where I could catch the bite, perhaps the teeth, and the officer's face as well.

iwqib4.jpg

This picture appears to have some blur.

Last edited:
Best one s two. I'm afraid tha the first one is Very out of focus, and the last one you've cut off the law enforcement officer's head and the dogs rear legs and tail. It woudl aslo have been better done from the side so we see the dog and officer's profiles. The drama is in the dog's grab and we can't see that.

Best one s two. I'm afraid tha the first one is Very out of focus, and the last one you've cut off the law enforcement officer's head and the dogs rear legs and tail. It woudl aslo have been better done from the side so we see the dog and officer's profiles. The drama is in the dog's grab and we can't see that.

Thank you for your response. After reading what you said and then looking at the picture I really see it. I will upload a few more pictures soon.

---------------------
I didn't HAVE to blur out the shirt, especially since you cannot see his face, but I have pictures which shows his face.

Probably for respect to identity. The first one is just too blurry, and the horizon is uneven. I agree with you that a different composition would have worked better. The second one is indeed the best. The composition isn't interesting, but the exposure is correct and it clean. I think that the 3rd one doesn't really have a focus. It's like the focal point is halfway between the dog and the officer, because there are chopped limbs.

I would have either gotten the whole dog in the frame, or the officer and then dog. It just looks awkward like it is now.

Hi Dominic,

Welcome to the forum. I loved seeing your photos and look forward to seeing more when you post them. Is it only police cars that catch your interest, or do you photograph other vehicles such as fire-trucks etc.?

I am only new to photography myself, so I am thinking about simple subject matters that I can photograph to get used to the modes available on my camera. Do you have any suggestions?

:)

Hello Classixuk, I am glad that you like my photos. I am also a beginner and I do not have any suggestions (Sorry!), but I'm sure you can find some interesting information on the forum.

I do photograph ambulances and firetrucks as well. I will go ahead and upload them shortly.

I see you edited your original post to include more of your images Dominic.

Some of them are very good and show a lot of promise. If you keep practising, you might want to approach the local police force or fire brigade and see if they need an Official Photographer - I hear these positions are voluntary, but they do exist.

If you can save up for that DLSR there is a special button called 'P' which stands for 'Professional'. You just switch the dial to that button and it makes all your pictures more Professional - could come in handy if you look into becoming an official photographer.

Looking forward to seeing more of your images soon!

Now, I just need to find some inspiration at 2AM of something to practice taking photos with! :)

Thank you Classix, I like to hear that.

I like the sound of that, but to my knowledge we do not have those. Its okay though. Also, I have never heard of a "Professional" button. My temporary camera until I get my DSLR has a 'P' button but it is for 'Program', my Advanced Point and Shoot HS20/EXR had the same button, which was for the same thing.

Try taking pictures of weird angles.

I see you edited your original post to include more of your images Dominic.

Some of them are very good and show a lot of promise. If you keep practising, you might want to approach the local police force or fire brigade and see if they need an Official Photographer - I hear these positions are voluntary, but they do exist.

If you can save up for that DLSR there is a special button called 'P' which stands for 'Professional'. You just switch the dial to that button and it makes all your pictures more Professional - could come in handy if you look into becoming an official photographer.

Classik, I'm not sure what you're doing, but whatever it is you need to stop.

Let's assume for a moment that your post is serious... If you're trying to encourage him, fine, do so... but let's not be telling him that his photos are good. Supposing you are serious, then the "P" is professional thing? You need some serious help.

If you're not serious, then you're yanking him around, and that's really not cool given that on the one hand you tell him the pictures are good, and then make that professional crack.

To the original poster... Do NOT take offense at my saying this, but these pictures are not good. Again, don't take offense. First thing you're gonna need to learn is how to take a few lumps and learn and grow. Nearly everyone's pictures start out this way... it's just normal. These, however, are not good... and that's perfectly fine.

Go pickup some books, attend a glass, spend some time prowling around a museum and try to understand art. It takes time, study, and practice. Keep at it.

Manaheim, I understand completely and I personally agree. I agree that my pictures are not good.

I appreciate you posting that Manaheim, I'm hoping that he isn't just jerking me around, it would be pretty sad. Monday when I return to school I will check the library for some books.

There's one people squalk about all the time that's supposedly excellent.

In fact, I have a copy that I bought way too late in my career and have nothing to do with it. Want it? PM me and I'll send it to you. (no charge... just better off giving it to someone who can do something with it)

Just to clarify things, the 'P' stands for Programmed Auto shooting mode.

Not according to Missy! She told me that the P stands for Professional! And she's a Professional Photographer with a Youtube Channel!

:)

Oh.. great! Another wanna be comedian that isn't funny! ( I thought that was my role!)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back