Critiques wanted :) please

shareefy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello! Im new here but am very interested in photography. I usually just stick to edited photos of me and am more found to the emo gothy depressed pictures of people. But anyways, im curious to the general opinion of the picture below. Its of my home town Cork (in ireland)
id like to know general opinions and any means to which i can improve it!

STA70399.jpg

it's a nice enough picture composition wise, but i'd reshoot when you get some nicer skies... the skies are blah and reflect blahness on the structures below it. some nice blue skies with a few clouds in it will really give this picture some much needed pop.

possibly if you shot from just a slightly different angle, the light post on the left side of the screen will not poke up just a touch from the roof and distract the eye either.

probably cropped at the post would take care of that... Actually I like the mood of the shot reminds me of right after the rain when the sun is trying to break free. The light on the buildings is very appealing to me. I might have lightened the foreground a bit but thats just personal preference... I find the composition to be very nice.

Those are my opinions

if this was with film it wouldn't be a problem, but i really dislike the blown out sky at top right, digital likes to not have great highlight detail or the same dynamic range as film. i would like to see this with higher contrast other wise i think its good

It looks a smidgen soft to me. I would probably crop a little off the right and the top which would help reduce the slightly blown area and allow a bump of levels in PS which may bring out a bit more detail in the buildings.

Rob

meotter said:
it's a nice enough picture composition wise, but i'd reshoot when you get some nicer skies... the skies are blah and reflect blahness on the structures below it. some nice blue skies with a few clouds in it will really give this picture some much needed pop.

i agree usually pictures do look nicer with brighter colours or more dynamic skies but unfortunitely ireland is 32 shades of grey. But when we do get a blue sky ill be sure to try and have my camera on me (and hopefully not be in school ;) )

anyways to the others, thanks for your help and advice! Ill try and carry my camera more often with me for that rare and seldom day the sky will blare blue *looks out window at overcast grey sky and sighs*

Played around in photoshop a bit, hope you don't mind. Removed some of the "signs" and added some aging. Great shot though!
shareefy-retouch1.jpg

shareefy-retouch.jpg

ooh i hate to say that i like it :)
makes it look older and more antique
tis cool!

Knowledge, can you maybe share your knowledge and let us into the secret of how you achieved this ancient look? I would really love to know!

Sure! Basically, I touched up the original image..repainted the bricks on the wall, removed stray light beams poking through and adds on the side of the buildings.. all of this was done with the clone tool/copy paste then resize. After that I generally go into Select color and change the color temperatures alittle depending on the scene, usually add more cyan or more magenta. Next I place a layer over that image and set it to Soft Light, in this instance I used this:

texture.jpg

Then used a general grunge brush to delete it off of the water / parts of the bulding where it was aparant.

Hope that helps and if you need some step by step instructions I'd be happy to put it together for you

Most reactions

New Topics

Back