Croc Hunter Dead

Tiberius

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hit the Australian News Sites Half an Hour Ago, and the Big 3 US sites (CNN, MSNBC, Fox) about 15 minutes ago. Steve Irwin, the "Crocodile Hunter", was killed by a stingray barb to the chest off the coast of Australia.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/09/04/australia.irwin/index.html

SYDNEY, Australia (CNN) -- Steve Irwin, the Australian TV presenter known as the "Crocodile Hunter," has died after being stung in a marine accident off Australia's north coast.
Australian media reports say Irwin was diving in waters off Port Douglas, north of Cairns, when the incident happened on Monday morning.
Irwin was killed by a stingray barb that went through his chest, according to Cairns police sources. Irwin was filming an underwater documentary at the time.
Ambulance officers confirmed they attended a reef fatality Monday morning off Port Douglas, according to Australian media.
Queensland Police Services also confirmed Irwin's death and said his family had been notified. Irwin, 44, was director of the Australian Zoo in Queensland.
He is survived by his American-born wife Terri and their two children, Bindi Sue, born 1998, and Robert (Bob), born December 2003.
Irwin became a popular figure on Australian and international television through Irwin's close handling of wildlife, most notably the capture and relocation of crocodiles.
Irwin's enthusiastic approach to nature conservation and the environment won him a global following. He was known for his exuberance and use of the catchphrase "Crikey!"
But his image suffered a setback in January 2004 when he held his then one-month-old baby Bob while feeding a crocodile at his Australian zoo.
In a statement released to Australian media, Foreign Minister Alexander Downer expressed his sorrow and said that he was fond of Irwin and was very appreciative of all the work he had done in promoting Australia overseas.
In 2003, Irwin spoke to the Australian Broadcasting Corp.'s Australian Story television program about how he was perceived in his home country.
"When I see what's happened all over the world, they're looking at me as this very popular, wildlife warrior Australian bloke," he said, the ABC reported.
"And yet back here in my own country, some people find me a little bit embarrassing. "You know, there's this... they kind of cringe, you know, 'cause I'm coming out with 'Crikey' and 'Look at this beauty'."

Oh cr*p!! I loved the guy!!! :(

May his soul rest in peace.

I just got done reading this earlier on my main page..it is so sad, it made me cry! Amazingly, it surprised me, although I told my husband not too long ago "That man is going to get himself killed one of these days".

wow..... he was one of those guys you always say "he's crazy for doing that, he's gonna get himself killed one day'..... and now he has.

Still he chose a dangerous job and repeatedly put himself in life threatening situations, so i cant say im supprised.

Wow. Talk about a freak accident. I have dove with rather large sting rays and never heard of anybody actually getting stung by one, let alone having the stinger go through their chest.

Can't say i'm suprised he died in his line of work though.

At least he died doing what he loved. Still sucks for his wife and child.

i just heard it on the news. that was a sad moment. I really liked the guy, being the reptile person i am. He did alot with aducating the people and stuff.
Rest In Peace mate

fredcwdoc said:
At least he died doing what he loved. Still sucks for his wife and child.

My thoughts as well :(

We had a long talk about this at work today, being in the same business of educating people about wildlife and such. :( Very sad. My thoughts are with his wife Terri and his daughter.:(

Crikey, look at its teeth

RIP, legend

I am watching Animal Planet and they have all kinds of his best clips going...they just showed Bindi Sue's birth...I almost cried.:blushing: It's so sad.:(

Most reactions

New Topics

Back