Crop feature on dslr's

shooting a football game today, after work. I'll be in DX mode for sure. only way to get 6fps out of my D800, not to mention the smaller files, and "closer in" thanks to the cropping. It's a win win.....

And a 24 mm lens no longer sees a wide 24mm view, but instead sees a cropped 36mm view now. Not even quite a "normal" view now, instead a slightly telephoto view for DX. So you lose wide angle capability, unless you stand back half again farther (assuming 1.5x crop factor).
There is no universal definition for "wide", "normal" and "telephoto", BUT 36mm ist substantly smaller than the image circle (which is 43.3mm for 36x24mm full small format), thus pretty much anybody would consider a 36mm equivalent either a slight wide angle or a wide normal angle.

P.s.: And 24mm is considered the lowest focal length on 36x24mm thats still just wide, not ultra-wide. Thats apparently because its the length of the shorter size of the sensor. I find this definition highly ambigous, though. It depends a lot upon the aspect ratio - a 1:1 sensor will see something different than a 5:4 sensor than a 4:3 sensor than a 3:2 sensor.

There is no universal definition for "wide", "normal" and "telephoto", BUT 36mm is substantly smaller than the image circle (which is 43.3mm for 36x24mm full small format), thus pretty much anybody would consider a 36mm equivalent either a slight wide angle or a wide normal angle.

If you want to argue it, I'm in. The diagonal (the image circle) certainly is a rather universal definition of a normal lens view (pretty much everybody). Has been true since first Leica in 1925, and all film sizes since.. 50mm is slightly longer than 43, so it is more of an approximation. :)

P.s.: And 24mm is considered the lowest focal length on 36x24mm thats still just wide, not ultra-wide. Thats apparently because its the length of the shorter size of the sensor.

Of course, sure, the diagonal captured depends entirely on the sensor size. That's why 24mm is quite wide angle on full frame 35mm, but is not at all wide on cropped APS sensors. Which is a my strong complaint with generally trying to use one of the 24mm zooms on full frame in crop mode. - no wide angle at all.

Last edited:
.... P.s.: And 24mm is considered the lowest focal length on 36x24mm thats still just wide, not ultra-wide. Thats apparently because its the length of the shorter size of the sensor. I find this definition highly ambigous, though. It depends a lot upon the aspect ratio - a 1:1 sensor will see something different than a 5:4 sensor than a 4:3 sensor than a 3:2 sensor.
That's what I've been sensing.
I'm still learning the aspect ratio thing ... so what is a 36x24mm sensor aspect ratio ?

That's what I've been sensing.
I'm still learning the aspect ratio thing ... so what is a 36x24mm sensor aspect ratio ?

The ratio is 36:24, reduced to 3:2 - remember math? :)

DSLR (both FX and cropped DX) are 3:2 (sometimes other options are provided). Compact cameras and cell phones and mirrorless are typically 4:3. 5x7 print paper is 5:7, and 8x10 print paper is 4:5.

Here are common aspect ratios: Image Resize - Cropping, Resampling, Scaling

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back