crop help

echoyjeff222

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Was hoping for some feedback on whether I should crop or not. If so, how much?

I am a bit stuck on how far I want to crop. I like the architecture and symmetry in the original, but as pretty as that is, it's not the main subject. So, how much should I cut? The crop I posted is a pretty tight crop. I think it might lose some of the depth of the image. Any thoughts are appreciated. Also, my monitor is not calibrated at all, so let me know if anything looks odd in terms of the brightness/contrast. Thank you.

_MG_8530-Edit-2-2 by Jeffrey Lee, on Flickr

_MG_8530-Edit-2 by Jeffrey Lee, on Flickr

I like them both! They are very different pictures. The brightness levels look fine on my monitor.

Yep as John said I like them both and it's amazing how much the crop changes the whole story of the image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Echoing the comments above you have two very different images defined by the crop. I like both though I might lean more toward the tighter crop. Gotta ask, WTH have you captured? At first I thought it was a dog but when I zoomed in it looks like a small child with either very large ears or horns????

The image looks fine, though you might want to check the level, it appears that it might be leaning to the right just a hair.

Very much different when cropped! I prefer the impact of the second image.

Thanks for the input, everyone. @ smoke, yes it is a dog, LOL. I can totally see what you might be saying though with a little kid in a costume of sorts :D Gotta love the ambiguity of photography sometimes.

yes it is a dog, LOL.

Well that was also one of my choices, but the standing on two legs was throwing me off LOL It made me stop, look and think, always a good thing in an image.

yes it is a dog, LOL.

Well that was also one of my choices, but the standing on two legs was throwing me off LOL It made me stop, look and think, always a good thing in an image.
lol now that you say that about the two legs i totally see it. reminds me of my own dog with his energy .. hopping up on two legs :)

I would actually go somewhere in between. I think the first has too much of the darker architecture. But I do think it's an important element, so the second one cuts too much of that out. This is no specific crop ratio, just a very quick crop showing where I think there is good balance of the architecture without too much darkness.

Great image over all.

34926456111_7ff623ebaf_cA by breckmiller, on Flickr

I would actually go somewhere in between. I think the first has too much of the darker architecture. But I do think it's an important element, so the second one cuts too much of that out. This is no specific crop ratio, just a very quick crop showing where I think there is good balance of the architecture without too much darkness.

Great image over all.

34926456111_7ff623ebaf_cA by breckmiller, on Flickr

Thanks, that was exactly what I was also thinking yesterday after reading the comments - I felt something was a bit off with the close crop, so I ended up zooming out a little bit more. It's all about finding the right balance!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back