Cross Body Camera Straps

OldManJim

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm carrying around a Nikon F5 and it's pretty heavy - even before I add film!

To reduce the pain, I'm looking at those cross body camera straps and was wondering if there are any that would be recommended - or ones I should avoid. I've seen some horror stories about straps and fittings breaking causing damage to cameras. Sure want to avoid that.

However, my budget is about $50, so I'm not going to be able to afford the super deluxe Batman styles that you could use to hang an elephant from the Golden Date bridge.

I'll use this mainly for walking around battlefields, graveyards, parks, etc. Not much mountain climbing, no concerts, etc. Maybe some sporting events and some local festivals.

Thanks in advance for any help.

WIDE strap to spread the weight on your body.
That is one of my next projects also.

Yeah - I've seen them for prices ranging from ~$15 - ~$100, Just wanted to know if anyone has any experience with any of these.

I've used Black Rapid Straps since forever. Maybe when they were first introduced. I've never had a problem with them. Used them with Canon 1D's and still using the same ones with my Fuji system. The 1D's weighs more than a F5.

Good to know - thanks

I'm carrying around a Nikon F5 and it's pretty heavy - even before I add film!

To reduce the pain, I'm looking at those cross body camera straps and was wondering if there are any that would be recommended - or ones I should avoid. I've seen some horror stories about straps and fittings breaking causing damage to cameras. Sure want to avoid that.

However, my budget is about $50, so I'm not going to be able to afford the super deluxe Batman styles that you could use to hang an elephant from the Golden Date bridge.

I'll use this mainly for walking around battlefields, graveyards, parks, etc. Not much mountain climbing, no concerts, etc. Maybe some sporting events and some local festivals.

Thanks in advance for any help.
I bought a BosStrap (from Adaorama) and am very happy with it. It has no extra padded part that I've found either moves or is in the wrong place, is wide and comvortable for me using my d7200 and a heavy 10-24 wide angle, and attaches to a camera lug, which is designed to take the weight, not the tripod socket. It was under $40, but it was the simplicity and the specs that got me, not the price.

I've been using a Black Rapid for a number of years and love it. I want my camera and big lens connected through the tripod socket. Those little strap lugs were never designed for a camera, grip, and 150-500mm lens.

I use black rapid straps as well. I’ve used them since the original model and they’ve carried as much as a gripped D500 with 150-600. I’ve never dropped a camera or had a failure, even with some extreme hiking and adventuring.

That being said, I’m also considering picking up a peak designs strap because sometimes i want a plain old neck strap that’s easy to remove.

I've been using a Peak Design Slide as well as their standard strap for a couple of years and am very happy. The Slide is very comfortable to walk/hike with.

I love my Black Rapid Metro. Too bad they don't make it anymore.

Another Peak Design Slide user here. Very satisfied.

I have the Black Rapid RS-4. (older model) Two years now. Love it.

Recently picked up a Tamron 200-500mm. Added the grip and went for an easy 1 mile walk. My walks are shorter in the winter. Wanted to see how it felt on the shoulder. But....I did attach it to the tripod mount. Just not sure how much I trust that lug in the grip. Should be fine this summer. Walk 3-4 miles and bike 6-8 miles.

If I were to do more rugged hiking or biking, then I'd look at other models. Looks like they have a new and improved retro RS-4. And a trade in for older ones. May have to check that out.

BLACKRAPID

The regular Black Rapid has worked great for me, today I think the similar model is called the BlackRapid Curve Breathe.

Op-Tec straps make felt weight about 50% lower than non-stretchy straps.

Most reactions

Back