Cross Body Camera Straps

I have an OP/TECH USA Utility Strap, Sling XL Quick Adjust on my Canon 40D. Bought a set of connector gender-changers for it so I could hang the camera on the left, instead of right.

Tried it out day-before-yesterday, walking about our nearly 1 acre, taking nature photos. Initial impression is I think I chose well.

I do feel it's a bit long, even for me, at 6 ft. 4 in. tall, so I'll probably eventually pay a local boat upholstery shop to shorten it by 2-4 inches.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Looks like the Optech is my choice. Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate the comments and suggestions.

Looks like the Optech is my choice. Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate the comments and suggestions.
Note there are two models: The one Square Peg has and the one I have. Difference is mine is longer (I believe), is designed for the camera to hang on the right (check the video for how it works), and has the quick-adjust feature (which is why it's side-dependent).

Mine, you can switch to the left, but that requires the connector gender-changers.

I went with the one I did because I wanted the length quick-adjust so I could snug it up to my chest when I wanted to get it off my hip.

I really liked the idea, but, at around $100 to start, and that's for light gear, I decided to take a pass.
There are some very affordable Chinese clones on Aliexpress.
Chinese clones of things have an unenviable track record. Even genuine brand-name products made in China have had serious quality issues when the buyer's/owner's QC was insufficiently rigorous. See, for example, the history of Rocna anchors.

I would be disinclined to trust my camera & lens to a Chinese clone of such a thing.

I really liked the idea, but, at around $100 to start, and that's for light gear, I decided to take a pass.
That and the fact that if you drop the camera while shooting it isn’t tethered to anything scared me away.
Easily-solved with a wrist strap. Of course: That would add to the $100.

I looked at the Spyder system as well. Didn't like it because the camera sticks out to the side, not too handy in a crowd or when going through the woods. Also the points about no safety if the camera is dropped. What really got me was that I attended an even were a pro photographer was using one and he told me he was planning to replace it because his camera kept bumping into things.

I looked at the Spyder system as well. ... What really got me was that I attended an even were a pro photographer was using one and he told me he was planning to replace it because his camera kept bumping into things.
I wondered about that, myself, while I was briefly looking at them.

The thing I like about the Op/Tech version I bought is the quick-adjust strap mechanism. When I'm going to be moving through places--doors, people, what-have-you, I can quickly and easily cinch it up snug, putting the camera about mid-chest and taking all the swing out.

Black Rapids when I use a strap, but I mostly use the Cotton Carrier.

I use Black Rapid... I have two. A typical sling-strap as well as a double-strap for two cameras (which I hardly do, but it sure is nice at some events).

But one annoyance is that since the sling straps all want to attach to the tripod bolt hole on the bottom of the camera, it required me to remove the quick release plate to use the strap. But if I wanted to use the camera on a tripod, I had to remove the bolt and re-attach the QR plate ... which sort of defeats the whole point of quick release plates.

Then I discovered that AcraTech makes an Arca-Swiss type saddle that attaches to the Black Rapid strap (they make a these for a few systems). It has a dual-action locking lever to prevent the camera from releasing unintentionally. It’s not cheap, but I really like how fast and easily I can go from strap to tripod and back again. (NOTE: While the plates and saddles are “Arca-Swiss” compatible... the vendor is name is spelled “AcraTech” ... not “ArcaTech” (flip the c & r).

I use Black Rapid... I have two. A typical sling-strap as well as a double-strap for two cameras (which I hardly do, but it sure is nice at some events).

But one annoyance is that since the sling straps all want to attach to the tripod bolt hole on the bottom of the camera, it required me to remove the quick release plate to use the strap. But if I wanted to use the camera on a tripod, I had to remove the bolt and re-attach the QR plate ... which sort of defeats the whole point of quick release plates.

Then I discovered that AcraTech makes an Arca-Swiss type saddle that attaches to the Black Rapid strap (they make a these for a few systems). It has a dual-action locking lever to prevent the camera from releasing unintentionally. It’s not cheap, but I really like how fast and easily I can go from strap to tripod and back again. (NOTE: While the plates and saddles are “Arca-Swiss” compatible... the vendor is name is spelled “AcraTech” ... not “ArcaTech” (flip the c & r).

This.

I also have a RRS L bracket on my D810 that has the firearms style QR hitch socket on it.

I got a sling lug that connects to that socket, so now I can connect and disconnect my strap from the bracket at the push of a button.

Works extremely well and is way more secure.

I talked to a pro who used one and she loved, it for wedding photography.
And I saw how she used it, and she used it well.
The camera holster was on her side, so the front of her body was clear of the camera when she had to arrange the brides dress or do other tasks.

BUT, her husband did not like it. His problem was that he was skinny and did not have any hips, so the belt just slid down his pants. He needed a belt with a suspender system to hold up the belt, for it to be functional. In the end he used a WIDE strap (I think Peak) and just had the camera over his shoulder.

Last edited:
I am looking to replace the advertising camera brand straps with a less eye catching strap, like all black.

I have the same problem that Tim and Destin pointed out.
I have an AS L-bracket or plate on my camera, and it would be a PiA to have to remove the plate to put on the strap mount. Then that defeats the purpose of the AS L-bracket/plate when I want to use the tripod, as I would have to first remove the strap mount, then put on the L-bracket or plate (and where is my allen wrench). For me, the L-bracket or plate lives on the camera.

I looked at the Acratech 'Swift Clamp' and it looks good, but as Tim said expensive.
But then the camera and lens is expensive.

The Peak Design 'slide' and 'slide light' seems like a possible solution.
My only concern is the cord-like attaching mechanism to the camera.

Most reactions

Back