Crown Of Thorns Starfish, Kona, 34 feet below sea level

sabbath999

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
p1000822400-3.jpg

EXIF: Canon PowersShot A710 IS, f/2.8, 1/60, onboard flash with diffuser.

Is this one of those shots where you used the wrong flash output for that depth? :)

That's a damn wicked looking beast, Sabbath.

I've never seen or heard of this type of starfish...very cool!

(How big is it?)

Is this one of those shots where you used the wrong flash output for that depth? :)

That's a damn wicked looking beast, Sabbath.

Well... since it is a fully automated point & shoot ... well... you get what you can take. You should see how bad this looked before post processing! Here, I will post it.

cot.jpg

They are wicked looking critters. Nasty things, they are destroying whole reefs of soft corals, they are predators. In Kona, there's not a problem because the coral there is hard and the crowns can't really take over the place.

Well... since it is a fully automated point & shoot ... well... you get what you can take. You should see how bad this looked before post processing! Here, I will post it.

Wow, nice edit job. I was trying to make reference to your (now seems banned) recent stalker. :)

Wow, nice edit job. I was trying to make reference to your (now seems banned) recent stalker. :)

Ah... I had forgotten about him. He really made a lasting impression on me :madass:

Thanks for your kind words. I am actually not really happy with the edit, it has a lot of blown highlights that I can fix with more work... frankly the picture isn't worth the effort, so I just quit there.

I have a really interesting shot of a frogfish taken just after this that I am going to spend the time on because it is worth it.

Great shot and a most interesting subject. Creepy looking fellow.

I've never seen or heard of this type of starfish...very cool!

(How big is it?)

Sorry, I missed the question part of your reply.

It is about a foot or so wide.

It is about a foot or so wide.
Thanks! I was going to ask if it was about the size of a dinner plate (which it looked to be from the photo), but then I thought that might be a stupid estimate as some starfishes are much much smaller. I'll have to read up on these

Editing does bring out the best. Nice job!

Thanks... that's about as close as I could make it to look like what it looked like in real life.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back