Canon 50MM f/1.8 or f/1.4?

2c4b3fb42371c00fee3b0d4ac1315fde.jpg

And another.

The way I'm going with 1.4 if I need to make an impression while doing semi-formal. I'm nowhere near there yet

And another.

The way I'm going with 1.4 if I need to make an impression while doing semi-formal. I'm nowhere near there yet

right, and if I did a lot of portraits I would choose something longer than 50mm
but starting out the old "nifty fifty"MKII or the newer STM version of the 50mm 1.8 are good

I got the lens! Since my friend and I are starting a video today I figured it would be good to grab it. This one is the STM instead of the II, from when I see, it's quieter and faster focusing. focus speed is nice but the quieter focus is great. Just like the 2.8, this one can can freely rotate the focus ring while on Auto focus to avoid accidental motor wear. While getting ready, I took a test shot. View attachment 108132

The "II" and the "STM" version have absolutely identical optics. But to me the biggest difference (ignoring the focus motor for the moment) is that the "II" has a 5-blade aperture vs the "STM" which has a 7-blade aperture. The "STM" provides a much higher quality blur in the background and the "II" is known for it's "nervous" or "jittery" bokeh depending on the background textures (and points of light which blur to pentagons.) For this reason I think the "STM" is the much better version.

But as you plan to shoot video there are two other advantages to the STM lens -- one is focusing rate and the other is noise. If you're using an external mic then the noise factor won't be a big deal. If use the internal mic the "II" is very noisy and the microphone easily picks up that sound. Whereas the "STM" is almost completely silent and nearly impossible to hear in the recorded video.

We have the STM at work. I've used my Sigma EX for years and didn't realize how far Canon has come in noise reduction with these STM lenses. As in, eerily silent. It wigged me out the first time I used it.

We have the STM at work. I've used my Sigma EX for years and didn't realize how far Canon has come in noise reduction with these STM lenses. As in, eerily silent. It wigged me out the first time I used it.

the newer STM lens are quiet (good for video) and the 50mm 1.8 STM version is much smaller, a "pancake" design which is good for mirrorless users

92f70affa8a9ff01c84bf974dcebb179.jpg

My 5 year old daughter took this with the nifty fifty. I'm not sure if. I'll pay more for the 1.4, it's more robust but the 1.8 is damn good and easily replaced.

*she focused on my chin but what can I expect from a kindergardner and a heavy dslr?
No way should you buy the 1.4. It's four times the price but definitely not four times more robust! The 1.8 looks/feels/IS cheap, but it's awesome.

I have been enjoying the 1.8 STM for the past several months. It has taken some getting used to but I am able to produce consistently sharp images with it. As far as the stepping motor for AF, the 50mm is louder than my other two STM's (18-55 and 55-250).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back