Canon 50MM f/1.8 or f/1.4?

Matthew_rs7

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everybody! This is my first time on this forum. I have browsed here a couple times, but it's a specific situation that encouraged me to promptly create an account (My profile is still in the making).

The Story:

I have a Canon EOS Rebel T2i that I use for both video and photography (I'm a Television Broadcasting graduate who is getting into video editing, naturally photography is a close and big hobby of mine) In my small and growing collection of lenses I have the stock Canon lens, a Sigma 300MM f/5.6, and my personal favorite, the Canon 40MM f/2.8. aka - pancake lens.

As much as I loved the f/2.8 lens, unfortunately my ex has stolen it from me. after a break up I gave her all her stuff back and upon pickup she dropped NONE of my stuff off. I didn't loose too much but that lens was the most expensive and treasured item I didn't get back. So I need to replace it!

Sure, I could technically get the same lens again, but I am eye balling the Canon 50MM lenses both the f/1.8 and f/1.4. I am having trouble deciding which it best for me. I will list below what I am looking for and ask you guys what would be the best decision.

Lens Comparison: (I get a staff discount from Best Buy, which is why I buy there)

Lens to replace - Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 Lens

Lens #1 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens

Lens #2
- Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Lens

My experience and uses to consider

Aperture - What impressed me the most about the f/2.8 was how much light I was able to take in, particularly when shooting indoor. This is because the stock lens's f/3.5 was the most I could open up. Going to f/2.8 was a HUGE leap and it impressed me big time. Having a lower ISO, thus, lower grain in my images made me very happy. f/1.8 or f/1.4 are both big leaps from 2.8. Aperture is one of the main things I'm looking at here. I am sure f/1.8 will blow me out of the water even more.

Image quality - This is probably the part I am most nervous about. Will the Canon 50MM f/1.8 have lower image quality compared to the 40MM f/2.8? Before discount, the 50MM f/1.8 is $60 cheaper. You would think the more open aperture would make the lens more expensive, not cheaper. Does this mean lower image quality? The f/2.8 has a big selling feature of being being super slim. A feature that I'm not concerned about that may be the reason for higher price.

Focal Length - 40MM vs 50MM. Because I often take pictures of people during family gatherings and stuff, being a little further away will be helpful with those that hide their faces when they see the camera up. however, indoor group shots will mean backing up even more. Overall the focal length difference I'm not overly concerned about.

Price - Comparing the f/1.8 to the f/1.4 is a HUGE price difference. A $270 difference to be exact. I assumed the f/1.4 would be worth the price. However, after watching this video, it seems like the image quality isn't as drastic as I thought. I'm taking mostly his word because YouTube compression and quality will make it difficult to compare visually. (Video - )

The more I research, the more I feel an inclination to go with the 50MM 1.8 as opposed to the 50MM 1.4 or another f/2.8 40MM. But the overall image quality is where I still fear having not as sharp image. As a side note, I do have the Canon Flash 270EX-II that I use indoor a lot with my lenses.

Thanks!

STM 50mm f1.8 because you mention video. Its supposedly very good with 7 rounded ap blades for nice bokeh as well as supposedly sharp

I can't speak to the 1.4 but I own the 1.8 and it was around $100. For that price, I feel like its a great lens and I personally wouldn't trade it for the 1.4... but that is specific to what I shoot. Its a sharp lens when used correctly.

I got the lens! Since my friend and I are starting a video today I figured it would be good to grab it. This one is the STM instead of the II, from when I see, it's quieter and faster focusing. focus speed is nice but the quieter focus is great. Just like the 2.8, this one can can freely rotate the focus ring while on Auto focus to avoid accidental motor wear. While getting ready, I took a test shot.
IMG_4773E.jpg

I wonder how the build quality compares II vs. STM.

OP, what was your intended area of focus on your test shot?

I wonder how the build quality compares II vs. STM.

OP, what was your intended area of focus on your test shot?

Jaca, the STM feels more like a normal lens to me. It has the metal mount and just feels better to me. But then again, I have never been a fan of the II. (yes I owned one for a while.)

Neither of those. I didn't like it, so I traded it on a Sigma 15-30mm f/3.5-4.5. Something that I needed at the time and am very happy with.

the Canon (and Nikon) 50mm f/1.4 are quite rubbish and not worth the price difference.

Canon's NEW 50mm f/1.8 STM really does seem to be a step up from the EF Mark II (I owned an EF-II f/1.8, and also the 50/1.4 Canon EF, which was a better lens than the low-priced f/1.8 "Plastic Fantastic", AKA the "Iffy Fifty" as I called it!). Plus, doesn't the STM allow silent autofocusing during video shooting? I mean, the 50/1.8 EF-II was like a ratchet with its loud, scratchy focusing noises! it was/is probably THE loudest focusing AF lens I've ever used.

Derrel, I don't know about silent but it is MUCH quieter than the 1.8 II.

the newer 50mm 1.8 STM is definitely quieter with better AF than the older mkII

Canon's NEW 50mm f/1.8 STM really does seem to be a step up from the EF Mark II (I owned an EF-II f/1.8, and also the 50/1.4 Canon EF, which was a better lens than the low-priced f/1.8 "Plastic Fantastic", AKA the "Iffy Fifty" as I called it!)

Or the nifty fifty for it's bargain basement price tag and superb image quality.

Still, If I did alot of videography, I'd get the 1.4

92f70affa8a9ff01c84bf974dcebb179.jpg

My 5 year old daughter took this with the nifty fifty. I'm not sure if. I'll pay more for the 1.4, it's more robust but the 1.8 is damn good and easily replaced.

*she focused on my chin but what can I expect from a kindergardner and a heavy dslr?

Most reactions

Back