CS-5 or Lightroom first?

flameshots

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I only have a couple hundred bucks to spend. What program should I get first?
I used the Lightroom3 beta and loved it. I haven't used any of the photoshop programs, I have been using Gimp for creative editing and fun stuff. Just starting a poll. What do you think I should spend my money on first. Eventually I will have both but I just cant decide on which first.

Flameshots

You may be aware that CS5 is much more sophisicated than LR2. It also is not designed just for photography and has many other uses than photography.

LR has been designed from the ground up strictly for photography. Each upgrade offers more than before. It is also somewhat easier to use than CS5. There are some limitations in LR that CS compliments.
There also are plenty of plug-ins available for LR, some are even free.

If I were to buy one now with the thought of buying the other later, I would purchase LR first.
Which is just what I did. ;)
Especially if you are purchasing CS5 with the thought of using it strictly to enhance your photography.

PS/CS5 retails for $699 USD. Lightroom 2 retails for $299 USD and Lightroom 3 will likely be released sometime this year.

PS/CS5 Extended retails for $999 USD.

Lightroom. Learn to organise and catalog your photos preperly early on and you will thank yourself later.

Thanks for the input guys. You really confirmed what I was already thinking. I can use Gimp for now to do my collages and fun stuff. Plus I don't think I have enough money for Cs-5.

Except sorting photos is harder than ironing shirts, better she stick to what she knows :lol:

Id go lightroom first as well. Its great for organizing your library and basic post processing.

I say, if you can afford it, and are sure you will use it enough to learn it, go with CS5. Just remember the old saying ( and this applies to your gear and lenses and everything a lot of the time too ) "Buy cheap, buy twice."

Why not just keep gimp until you can save up for CS5??

I say, if you can afford it, and are sure you will use it enough to learn it, go with CS5. Just remember the old saying ( and this applies to your gear and lenses and everything a lot of the time too ) "Buy cheap, buy twice."

Why not just keep gimp until you can save up for CS5??

It makes more sense to buy lightroom first. LR is more of an organizational tool than an editing program. It is designed to be used in conjuction with PS, not instead of it. It wouldn't take one long to save for LR where it will take a long time to save for PS.

If you are a student or educator, CS5 Extended is $199 and LR is $99

I do my initial editing and cataloging in LR2 and then finish in CS4 (I have CS5 on order and am waiting for the final version of LR3 to go on sale)

I have both programs and it really depends on your style. If you are like me and want as little time on the computer editing, I would go for Lr. But if you are wanting to do heavy PP. then I would go with CS5.

And that new content-aware fill isn't what it's cracked up to be. At least for me.

PS: I also love how Lr automatically organizes my photos for me! And there are plugins to export straight to flickr. And then you can set those pictures to be backed up on your computer all in one click!

I downloaded the free trial of LR before downloading the free trial of CS5. What I liked about LR was the ability to open RAW files directly without using the bridge. The were other handy things like the cloning tool and brush. When I downloaded the trial CS5, my RAW files are opened in a program similar to LR. I find myself using that the most and don't have to open the file in CS5. When my free trial runs out next week, I'm purchasing LR.

Most reactions

Back