CS4/bridge problems

Christie Photo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.christiephoto.com
I recently installed Photoshop CS4 (I'm still running Windows XP) and have some problems with bridge. It will not display thumbnails of raw files. It will open them, but will not show a preview. I THINK I downloaded the proper update of camera raw from Adobe that supports my camera, but am not cetain I installed it properly.

Any thoughts?

-Pete

What camera are you using? Can you OPEN the raw files? My first guess is that you have a camera that's newer than your CS4 supports. WHich is not a problem, you then just download the DNG converter and convert from your raw to adobe's raw which is the DNG file.

It's a Canon D5 Mark II.

I've been using an original D5 with CS3 and no conversion was necessary for that combo. Before that, it was a D10 and again... no conversion.

Tell me more about the DNG converter.

Thanks!
-Pete

LightRoom will convert them for you also.... you can download a 30 day trial. LightRoom makes work flow a snap. For CS4 look on Adobe site for a camera update.

It should be compatible with CS4. I'd do a walk through of the install of the update again? It just shows the CR2 logo?

Pete, I had that same problem. I needed to install the correct plug-in for my camera. Though I am still using the same ole one I have always had, it still confuses me that I have to update the plug-in from time to time. If you need help, I would be glad to help out if you'd like. I have been meaning to stop by for some time now...

Canon and Nikon Raw file structure is proprietary information that they do not provide to Adobe, or anyone else.

Each new Canon, Nikon, and other brand camera that uses a proprietary Raw file format has a unique Raw file format.
Adobe has to reverse engineer each new one and update Camera Raw. Which is why it's a couple of months after new cameras start shipping that Adobe is able to generate ACR an update

Adobe only supports the current release version of Photoshop, be it CS, Elements, or Lightroom, all of which use ACR to do Raw file conversion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back