CS4 Student Edition/CS4

I have heard, perhaps incorrectly that you cannot upgrade from say CS3 Student Edition to CS4 (any edition) is this true???

I wasn't 100% sure on this so I just called Adobe. (I just don't like giving bad information) Now this applies to the US, other countries will vary, I'm sure...

But here in the US, the Student version can be used for commercial purposes. Upgrading however, can only be done to a non-student version. I was told that they may or may not offer a discount though. She could not say for sure, because the policies can change from version to version.

You may not be able to "upgrade" to CS4 from CS3, but you could buy the student version of CS4 and it would still be far less expensive than buying the non-student version.

But, you can upgrade from the Student Edition of CS3 Extended to the regular version of CS4 Extended and not have to pay full price.

But, you can upgrade from the Student Edition of CS3 Extended to the regular version of CS4 Extended and not have to pay full price.
But at what price? The student edition is only $200 vs. the $999 price tag on the non-student version. So unless the discount makes the final cost less than $200, why bother? just get the student edition?

But at what price? The student edition is only $200 vs. the $999 price tag on the non-student version. So unless the discount makes the final cost less than $200, why bother? just get the student edition?
Go to Adobe's web site and look!

Once someone has graduated, they would not longer qualify to purchase the Student Edition unless they did something dishonest, and would need to upgrade to the regular version. The upgrade from CS3 Extended Student Edition to CS4 Extended is $359, as of today.

Go to Adobe's web site and look!

Once someone has graduated, they would not longer qualify to purchase the Student Edition unless they did something dishonest, and would need to upgrade to the regular version. The upgrade from CS3 Extended Student Edition to CS4 Extended is $359, as of today.

No kidding! I didn't even realize anyone mentioned purchasing after graduation? If so I overlooked it somewhere. And my question was rhetorical. Me, I am going for my doctorate. I have a few, long, years to go. So, I have CS4 and if a CS5 were to come out, why would I pay $300+ when I can get it for $200.

Having said that, the only thing that would make it worth it to me was if I lived outside of the US and wanted to use it to make money. Then it would be worth it. Otherwise it's not.

Call me stupid if you will but the last time I was in my local Mac store there were student version upgrades of many software.

Most reactions

Back