Curious if anyone else likes to explore abandoned places?

bigtwinky

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.pierrebphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I love finding old abandoned homes and businesses for photography. The vibe that you get from the place, the creepy photos, the documenting the past. The walls and floors can warp to give some pretty interesting photo opportunities.

I recently explored an abandoned ski resort, closed for the last 5 years.

Hitting the hills | urbex - Pierre B Photo

Although my fave exploration this year is an old hotel resort in the northern US abadoned for the last 30 years. Finding some magazines dating back to the 1940s, the fugly green shag carpet...

It's on my wish list big time and some problems that keep me from it. one is trespassing issues,two is who lurks in there or around there that may in danger my life Zombies maybe..Sure I have means of protection but who wants to face that and another is construction safety. So unless I have permission and go with at least one other person, I guess its not going to happen for me. Abandoned mental Hospital is one I want to visit but most of them are fenced off and some have security floating around as well.

Last edited:
It's on my wish list big time. and some problems that keep me from it. one is trespassing issues,two is who lurks in there or around there that may in danger my life Zombies maybe..Sure I have means of protection but who wants to face that and another is construction safety. So unless I have permission and go with at least one other person, I guess its not going to happen for me. Abandoned mental Hospital is one I want to visit but most of them are fenced off and some have security floating around as well.

Things like mold, asbestos and other airbourne bacteria are a huge issue. I'm all about safety first. There is a difference in the law (at least here) between trespassing and breaking and entering. We ran in to another group of people in that exploration. I've run into some drugged out people as well. I can deal with that. It's the animals that you can randomly find that are scarier for me.

I have a few rules when I go... I never break anything to get in. I never take anything other than photos. I only leave behind footprints, no littering or anything.

As for run-ins with cops, owners and guards... hasn't happened yet. Random locals asking wtf we are doing, sure. A lot has to do with how you deal with a situation.... and how you are ready to deal with the consequences

Awesome! That is one of my favorite things to do. Need to do some hunting in my area.

I need to head out of north america! Seems that we here don't value abandoned places like other places in europe do. I've seen my share of abandoned factories, houses and all that are just walls. I love to find furniture and other items that tell the history of the place.. which they are big on in europe. Here? People are vandals.

I'd love to, unfortunately here on the Wet Coast, land is so valuable that NOTHING sits abanonded long enough to explore! :(

I'd love to, unfortunately here on the Wet Coast, land is so valuable that NOTHING sits abanonded long enough to explore! :(

where there is a will, there is a way. Might be harder to find, but I'm so sure there are places to explore. In Montreal, there aren't THAT many that are fun to check out, but drive 1-2 hours outside the city and you can find a bunch. Or I head out on weekend road trips and drive 4-5 hours to get to places. Have an old love motel with heart shaped jacuzzis and all on my radar for this summer hehe

Awesome! That is one of my favorite things to do. Need to do some hunting in my area.

I need to head out of north america! Seems that we here don't value abandoned places like other places in europe do. I've seen my share of abandoned factories, houses and all that are just walls. I love to find furniture and other items that tell the history of the place.. which they are big on in europe. Here? People are vandals.

All too true :(

They vandal everything here to. Just about every building closed up and abandoned the first thing that gets vandalized is the glass as almost every window will be busted out among other things. Even if the building is safe for take over from another company,it would cost them a fortune to replace windows on top of removing graffiti.They even vandalize cemeteries and not long ago somebody was going around smashing head stones.Just when I think how low can a person get, another comes along and tops it.

It's easy here, most of Maine north of Augusta is abandoned.

I love to see photos like this, but no, I don't do any urban exploring myself, because…well, because I'm basically a big scaredy cat! :lol:
The trespassing issues--around these parts, you have two problems with trespassing. One, if it's private property, you might very well get shot at before you get asked questions. Two, if it's something like a resort, abandoned public building, etc--sure, MOST cops would either just question you and/or ask you to leave. But a very few who are basically just Country Rednecks with a Badge, would throw the book at you. I don't wanna play roulette with which kind of cop I might get. :D
The danger--falling through a floor or something and getting hurt, the mold, the broken glass, the asbestos--none of that appeals much to me.
The dead, decaying animals--well, let's just say that I once lifted the lid of a trashcan that my ex had "forgotten" (neglected) to haul to the curb for months. It had somehow gotten water in it, on top of the trash, and lying on the top of the wet trash was a dead, decaying possum. I still have nightmares about that possum. :lmao: No way am I going to voluntary go somewhere that I'm likely to see another one!

Funny You mention the possum.My wife was sitting on the front porch steps last summer evening talking to her friend when a possum came out from the bushes next the the steps and ran across her feet and then through the yard.She was almost I think in shock, she was so scared. A couple weeks ago a little tiny field mouse was in the house and ran through the kitchen,next I know she is standing in the middle of the kitchen table. Good thing the kitchen table was off to the side of our celling fan that was on high speed or Big Bonk.:lmao:

Curious if anyone else likes to explore abandoned places?

​Sure did as a kid, not now.

Only haunted scary ones wii do.:p

HECK NO!!!! I'm afraid of Ghost andI know one of them will tag along...

Most reactions

Back